Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tractor cuts line in field to stop encroaching fire - GIF

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 23, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 22, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 6, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 21, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    He managed to save a lot of his crop, it is also a good thing the wind wasn't high that day.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    At about 1:14 you can see he had that Deer in gidyup gear as all 8 tires are spinning and even worse once he reaches the clearing at the end. Smart and good move to save as much as he could.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Spinning is good as long as you don't loose forward momentum. He didn't dare slack off on the throttle, Had his forward movement slowed to the point that he was at risk of stopping he could have played the hydraulics a little by raising the disk sections a little Also risky as the ground may not have turned over properly leaving a jump zone for the fire.
    Not sure what his farm co-op insurance rep thought about him trying to save as much as he could since had the field been a total loss the co-op would have been in a better position for fed assist. My neighbor has 3000 acres under till in cotton this year scattered out around the Western part of our county,how much other land he has in hay I have no idea Back in early August he told me the cotton was doing so poorly since we didn't get our late spring rains that he was just waiting for the 15th of Sept to find out whether or not he was going to get to plow all of it under. We got some good rains in late August but fortunately for him they came late enough that it was too little too late for much of his crops I noticed he has plowed a lot of them under
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    I think Willie, Neil Young (still kicking after brain cancer) and John Mellencamp just did the umteenth (30th) Farm Aid? It's a sad day when the people that feed the country (and others) can't afford to...
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: add link
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    I suspect he was doing that to stop the fire rather than save the crops. His house could have been at the other end of that field.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    I suspect he was doing that to stop the fire rather than save the crops. His house could have been at the other end of that field.
    This ^^^

To me, it looks like a harvested wheat or other grain crop field. In the Willamette valley it would have been grass seed. In any case, a field burning like that used to be a common sight here. It clears the field and provides nutrients for the next crop. Now a days, it's not as common as air quality matters more now. Plus a lot of smoke from a field burn drifting across the interstate caused a large multi-car pileup.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information