Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Trav-a-dial mount & chip guard

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Trav-a-dial mount & chip guard

One thing that I've always had on my lathes is a trav-a-dial. But until now I hadn't had one on either of my La-Blond lathes. SO today I decided to make a mount for one on my 19 x 60"but this time I wanted it on side of the carriage nearest the chuck since I do a lot more close in work than long turning now days. the problem with having the instrument located in this area is the swarf or chips and doubly so since I do a lot of blue chipping hog off work as well.
    So a deflection cover was required do do this I used a short piece of 6" 'C' purlin coped to match the angle of the carriage arms so as not to interfere with the max swing of the lathe
    Trav-a-dial mount & chip guard-dscf6865c.jpg
    Trav-a-dial mount & chip guard-dscf6867c.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 5, 2019), Jon (Mar 11, 2016), kbalch (Mar 11, 2016), LMMasterMariner (Jun 17, 2017), Paul Jones (Mar 11, 2016), PJs (Mar 14, 2016), Scotty12 (Oct 4, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 16, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Jun 15, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Frank S! We've added your Trav-a-dial Mount and Chip Guard to our Lathe Accessories category, as well as to your builder page: Frank S' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    And you probably gained carriage travel outboard for instances when long parts are called for. I'd guess the inboard clears, by width of chuck, offset of tool post and cutter.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    TM51 the chip guard just barely clears the High low or as it would be called in older lathes the back gear lever.
    the trav-a-dial does not interfere with close in work in the least on this particular make of lathe.
    But yes it would have limited the outboard travel somewhat had I mounted it in the usual position out board of the lead screw thread count indicator. Actually the trav-a-dial did come with a mount for that location and with very minor modification to that mount I could if need be put it there.
    My whole reason for wanting to locate it where I did was I sometimes make 2 3 an 4 grove pulleys with the web being on the center line of the groves doing all machining after the bore and key way is done without removing it from the lathe so to do this I use a keyed arbor this allows me to cut both sides of the web.
    Sometimes when having to work that close to the chuck it is nice to be able to see what your are doing and still be able to see the trav-a-dial at the same time since I have to actually stand behind the chuck.
    What it really boils down to I guess is it works for me and when I don't need it I simply rotate it on the mount away from the bed to reduce wear and tear Someday I might even join the DRO world and do away with it but @ 63 I've never needed DRO yet

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    We've a little 12" LeBlond at work. There is little room on carriage left; I can see where QC gear box or control of head stock are likely to interfere. Trav-a-dial on left makes perfect sense - only with shield as you did. All of 'their' dials are mounted right side, and probably every lathe I've ever seen. Trav-a-dial set the precedent in their mounting hardware and buyers just herd along.
    Surprising situation. We're supposed to be so innovative, with facilities to create anything, yet follow along like sheep.
    re: DRO'S, when you are really working, flashing digits are not faster than creeping up with a needle. With QC holders and tight OD / ID's to hold they can't be beat. You don't have to figure which turn of the crossfeed you are on, just look at tip of tool, and then get the thousandths right. It's real fast with masking tape split on joint of slide and carriage, and a mark for operation steps - kind of like a vernier.
    I have one axis DRO on carriage, works via wheel just like Trav-a-dial, carries rechargeable battery, readout right there on ways. I wired a transformer, rewired worklight to plug in, duplex receptacle on the back of electrical box. Don't remember name of DRO from here at home, but it's Swedish, real nice, reads direct, and switchable inches to 4 places [.0005] and mm. A little better than Trav-a-dial in that respect, past first 6".
    Shop runs a lot of shafts and 1 axis is sufficient, use a mag base and indicator for close diameters.
    I don't think much of Trav-a-dials on milling machines. If a guy can't count turns of a dial or use masking tape, he's not really trying.

Later pals, one and all; I owe I owe, it's off to work I go!
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 16, 2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: fix spelling before teach sees 'em
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Ha,HA, Trav-a-dials on a milling machine. Not in Frank's world thank you very much LOL.
    I used to have a Bridgeport 3hp J head 12"x 60" table with a 3 axis read out one night on swing shift both the X and the Y glass somehow got damaged. I suspected horse play but my solution was to remove all traces of the system. in it's stead I laid 3 LS Starrett mag base 2" travel dial indicator sets with a note figure it out or clock out
    Funny thing was the next morning I noticed that production had actually increased and upon inspection so had the quality

Thanks
    Hi Frank;
    Your travelling d/i looks to be quite a usefull peice of equipment ,I have a verier traveller on my AR Hercus but hope one day to convert to digital.
    My problem at the moment is i am in the middle of reorganising my huge shed all of 4mx3m, yeah not enough room to turn side ways and not enough room to expand so I just have to stay put.I suppose at 85 everyone say's get rid of it,not likely as it keeps the mind and body active.
    I also have a minny foundry for ally at least it keeps me on my toes.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    85 eh; Well I got a couple of pieces of advice for you my friend. First off hook you a young apprentice by what ever means necessary
    They will really keep you on your toes especially if you find one that genuinely takes interest in learning.

the next would be don't listen to those who want you to get rid of everything because as long as you can get out of bed and make your way to your shop you are doing something that you have a passion for once you allow them to take your means to pursue your passion away you have nothing to look forward to each day.
    I'm only coming up on 63. I started as an apprentice at 11 stayed until I was 17 my mentor was just breaking 80 when I left so he found him another then another and another it wasn't until he was knocking on the century mark that he was finally forced to lay down his tools
    I spoke with his great grand son a few year back who told me that his Great Grandpa Clarance often talked about how he had been ready to lay down his tools and pass them along to his son when I came along. After I left the grand daughter this guy's mother became his apprentice eventually she was the one who took up the tools

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 5, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 17, 2017)

Thread Information