Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tree climbing chainsaw trimming tool - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,544 Times in 11,260 Posts

Tree climbing chainsaw trimming tool - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 23, 2018), PJs (Sep 23, 2018)

Thanks
    Summer after 11th grade I worked at a BOCES doing maintenance. I saw one of these in a pole barn and came to the conclusion that this was what it was for. I have been all ways looking for conformation, guess this is it. Thanks for the post.
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    That is quite a mechanism! Can't see any RC or trip levers for how it reverses down the tree nor do I see a beeper for when it backs up.

Cool design Jon, Thanks!!
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    If my memory serves me correct the one I saw had something like clothesline attached to a lever to reverse it. Seems it would make the operator a bit dizzy looking up while circling the tree to keep the rope from candy caneing up the tree. Not to mention ducking branches. Quite likely a very different manufacturer than the one I saw.
    Eric

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    PJs take a look at the .03 mark is that an antenna on the side of the transmission close to the big red spot
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Alrighty Then, after a bit of rabbit holing because design curiosity was pulling me down the hole, I found that this is a Sachs KS31 of a 1963 vintage. At that age I would doubt is RC and in the following 2012 YT video of better quality you can see this fellow demo it. At ~50 years old the tech does pretty well.

At 3:38 of the vid there is a paper indicating the specs but not very legible and appears to be Swedish text and because of the angle. There is a lever on the side of what I assume is a transmission of sorts that starts the journey...but how it reverses is still a mystery at this point as I can't find any patent on it or much reference material for that matter.

I did find a 1999 Patent on another unit by a guy named Clouston and there is a video of it on this guys channel. (not wanting to post this poor 2011 video here). It doesn't use a chainsaw but what looks to be some sort of end mill cutting tool (90) ??

As far as the red thing at :03 Frank, it looks to be some sort of handle for the lube bucket(?) as there is a fill spout and a hinged lid on top. It may be a chambered bucket as a wire appears to come out of the bottom of it and some type of yellow knob, but it could be tubing feeding the transmission maybe as it heads it that direction. Also in this video you can see what looks to be a drive shaft for one or two of the inner wheels (another mystery).

Here is the 3:42 video which you can pause and frame forward.

This all seemed to be brought to light by Hand Tool Rescue via Instagram in 2017 and brought on by something he found on another channel (Bidone1967) but it doesn't show up on any of his vid that I saw....it even made it to Popular Mechanics in 2017...so this 50yr old machine made a comeback in late 2017, who knows if there are many of these are still out there or if this may have been a Proto of some type??

Over all this is a pretty cool machine...and Vintage. If any of you wish to dive further for a patent drawing or docs of any kind I'd be interested.

Thanks Jon, Eric and Frank for the inspiration.

PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by PJs; Sep 24, 2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: thanks....
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thread Information