Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trifiveframeguy

Thanks

Smile trifiveframeguy

Hello: I am new to this forum. I found it on line and decided to see what was in it. There is quite a number of innovative tools and more innovative people that think out of the box. I build custom car frames. I use a four sided plate steel configuration. The four sides are welded together. I have over 25 hours grinding time on each frame I make. I need some means of removing the weld bead quicker / easier. I have seen a couple of tools that claim they can "shave" the weld bead down. No where can I find anyone with one of these tools to actually tell me how good they work.

I have thought about " how can a tool be built to do this job"? Upon seeing this web site ,DIY Tools, I wonderered if any one had already made something to do this kind of work? Any help with this would be appreciated.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Hi trifiveframeguy - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Custom car builders are always welcome here! We'll see if we can get you some answers for your weld bead removal job.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Weld Bead Removal

Hi Jon: Thanx for the welcome! The removal of weld bead has been the biggest time consumer when building my frames. It takes 3 ginding steps to get to the stage where the edges are blended in. I use resin backed discs of various grits to achieve the smooth finish. I have seen a "milling disc" that I can purchase. $2950.00. No guarantee how it works. No demo on how it works. Seems like a lot to pay on the hope it works, let alone how long it may last. Any idea's how to perform this grinding process quicker will be welcomed.

Thanks
    trifiveframeguy is it possible to see what your dealing with? And what you want it to look like?

Thanks
    Picture 513

This is one of my frames with 3 sides attached. The top has yet to be installed. Note the tabs that are along the edges. The top plate has these tabs as well, so when it is clamped in place you have a perfect fit up . This leaves a .125 thickness so you get a perfect weld. Not sure if this makes sense or not. Right now I do not have a picture that better shows what I am trying to explain. Tomorrow I will get you a picture. For now.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Peter Sanders's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by trifiveframeguy View Post
    <snip>I build custom car frames. I use a four sided plate steel configuration. The four sides are welded together. I have over 25 hours grinding time on each frame I make. I need some means of removing the weld bead quicker / easier. I have seen a couple of tools that claim they can "shave" the weld bead down.<snip>
    Have you considered rearranging the welding arrangement to eliminate the "raised" portion of the weld bead? Can you use two "U" channels, one channel slightly inserted inside the other and then weld at the "join" of the two channels. Landrover and Range Rover chassis were manufactured this way

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I don't know if anyone has made one but there are portable beveling milling machines on the market on of these is the Steel max BM16
    instead of the straight sided triangle inserts you could substitute them for concave radius inserts or regrind them the cutter inserts to suit
    https://steelmax.com/product/lightwe...eling-machine/
    The Baileigh is a little more stable to hold while beveling long straight bevels or radius's but also pricey
    https://www.baileigh.com/portable-be...machine-cm-10p
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 27, 2018 at 06:48 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 28, 2018)

Thanks
    I would recemed a matobo beveled and welding out to flush. Then all you have to deal with is a very small amount of high spots.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom89 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom89 View Post
    I would recemed a matobo beveled and welding out to flush. Then all you have to deal with is a very small amount of high spots.
    I haven't used any Matobo products in years I once bought half a pallet of 4 1/2 and 7" angle grinders about half of them had real soft carbon brushes and didn't last very long the other half lasted about as long as expected with the shop monkeys I had at the time.
    But yes Matobo makes a bevel tool as do many others
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Many companies make electric plate bevelers I only mentioned them because thats what iv used in the past welding on pressure vessels. But I think you can cut the grind time say down with a little tweaking of the weld procedure.

Thread Information