Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turret mills; Quick vertical part holder.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

Turret mills; Quick vertical part holder.

Today I had some endwork to perform...too long to rest on table with vee block kind of low from surface to be done. Our horizontal is tied up with a longer running job, and I don't like swiveling the turret type past 45 unless imperative.
    Hmmmm....The bulk of turret mills, and many others have a small scale tee slot on front of the X axis bed. So a handful of salvage material, some bandsawing [of course, whats a creative project with out a bandsaw portion?], this was the solution. Vee clamps on a 3'' dia. Made long tee-nuts to engage more slot for strength. You can reference http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/double-t-nut-46086 for considerations on double tapped tee nuts.
    This not a very rigid clamp. This was just center drilling plugged tubing for a lathe job, instead of mounting steady rest and workout pushing tailstock to and fro. With the ram swiveled to dial the diameter in, went quick enough, and tooling to save for the future.Turret mills; Quick vertical part holder.-100_3818.jpg.
    Properly designed and executed there would be tapered legs, tabs for perpendicularity from top surface, broader feet, webbed/ gusseted corners, an arch for the threaded clamp bolt and more thickness to the vee's narrow section. That vee is not correct either, profile too wide for diameter available within the frame.
    But you still would have to be careful when tightening mounts and part.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 15, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Dec 14, 2016), Corm (Jan 23, 2020), Frank S (Dec 14, 2016), Home-PC (Nov 21, 2022), Jon (Dec 5, 2019), Paul Jones (Dec 15, 2016), PJs (Dec 14, 2016), SA MAKER (Jan 22, 2020), thehomeengineer (Dec 13, 2017), winmac (Nov 22, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Ah-ha Now I've caught you. And here all along I thought that I might be the only one to use those tiny "T" slots originally intended to be used as a place to mount automatic reversing or indexing stop pins or a means by which the liner glass scale DRO system mounted. For purposes other than the manufacture's intended design.
    Time and time again those little 1/4 to 3/8" sized slots have proved very valuable to me when I had to make a set up requiring a vertical off table mounting fixture and yes "T" nuts such as those in my http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/double-t-nut-46086
    thread offered a means to gain the much needed extra amount of insurance against damaging the table.
    Good on you

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 15, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 15, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Caught me grimy handed Frank S.! Me thinks to post more tee slot based projects to benefit our little [but growing!] community. Home today with 3mm kidney stone, remedy nearly complete, with glowing adulation for local VA hospital. Can't wait for Obummer care to dissolve, with that likely still be writhing in pain whilst autocrats process paperwork. So many layers delay results.
    I say if care is needed, earn a right or save pre-need. Like cemetery plots...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 23, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Tm 51 I hope you get to feeling better soon I never had a kidney stone but in early 73 I spent a few agonizing weeks, partially while on TDY in an un-nameable country and partially in the Brooke Army Medical center while the stethoscope guys tried to figure out if they were going to remove the Gall bladder and part of the stomach along with possibly some length of intestine from a guy not quite 20 years old. They were pretty sure they had killed off the parasite I had acquired when large stringy chuncks ot it started being passed in my stool. Finally they got me on a bland and I mean bland baby food type diet of mostly mashed potatoes but the inflammation in my gall bladder had them worried, But not so worried as to keep them from releasing me to limited duty as long as I promised to take my meds and return each few days for tests. I never took 1 single pill after walking out of the hospital and the rest of that story is I never went back for any more tests. The very first thing I did upon leaving eas to seek out the first gut truck where I bought his entire stock of Jalapeno peppers a fountain drink and a bag of chips, KILL or CURE I thought, and to this day I have never had a single pain anywhere in my gastro region except for one time when I got food poisoning while in Spain in 2011, and the only other time I have even been to a DR since then was in Kuwait when they installed a stint in my LAD because scar tissue from a piece of missed shrapnel had remained hidden there since 1973 as well, it wasn't until 2012 when the tissue had finally managed to close enough of the artery to give me problems

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 23, 2020), Paul Jones (Dec 15, 2016), PJs (Dec 16, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 22, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Some won't believe us Frank, but chilies are a huge gastronomic and digestive benefit. Cuisines using them freely have next to zero population with stomach aliments common to non Asian/ Hispanic/ Middle Eastern groups. The capsaicin is many times more efficient than our digestive fluids, raises metabolic rate, and more, according to research. Even salsa "does a body good".
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 23, 2020), Paul Jones (Dec 15, 2016), PJs (Dec 16, 2016)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    You are absolutely correct. I have made my own hot sauce ever since my bout with the tape worm at least that was what the stethoscope guys said I had, had. They figured that I must have gotten it a couple of years before I was struck ill. Probably early 72 while I was in the first forever to be un-named country that I went TDY in, and only when I got hold of some extremely hot chilies in the south American country did it become known to me in the form of a pain 10 times worst than appendicitis.
    Over the years I 've spoken with a lot of bare footed people in many countries who literally worship herbs spices and hot chilies many of whom must have been in their 8th or 9th decade of life who had never even met or seen a trained medical person.
    We've had folks over who think that I must be out of my mind when they see me eating a Habanero like some might eat a jalapeno. Some might comment that man that is like the hottest pepper in the world.
    I just say NO it is the 10th hottest pepper in the world the Carolina reaper is the hottest pepper in the world and not even I will handle them without gloves on, but I will when I can get hold of some use them in my hot sauce.A while back a friend of mine gave me a pound of Ghost peppers I used a few in my last batch of sauce then froze the rest to preserve them

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 23, 2020), PJs (Dec 16, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 16, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Don't invite me over for tacos or chili, good buddy!
    I'll confiscate all your Lime Sherbet. ALL.
    Fresh, roast Jalapenos are plenty for me.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I've been thinking that now that we live 12 miles from the nearest if you can call it a grocery store and 75 miles from a large grocery store that I might need to get the fixings for a couple gallons of lime sherbert the next time if ever we go to the city. Can't even get the store bought stuff here

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 17, 2016)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Well, are they aware you create the demand for them maintaining an inventory of said product, downing a container in it's entirety?
    Should they not, build a freezer and cut off their diminutive aisle 4, or where ever the cold case is.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I asked them about stocking some lime sherbert because I absolutely refuse to buy regular ice cream. they told me that the 2 gallons of orange they have will probably go ouit of date before it sells. To this I told him that if it were lime sherbert it would disappear the first time I saw it, OH well we will see

Thread Information