Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Twin 30" Belt Sander/Grinder

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Yes I understand most people don't have the equipment to cast. I got my inspiration for this project from a George Barnes plan which he has made free for distribution. A full plan set is available on the "Projects In Metal" site. His plan is all steel construction and is for a 2"X42" sander/grinder. 42" belts are hard to source some builders have redesigned to 48". For my design I went with a main casting and 30" dual belts so many changes were needed. I also modified the tension and tilt assembly. So a non caster should be able to produce a similar machine.

Twin 30" Belt Sander/Grinder-2.jpg

Carlos

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    How many hours u spend in total?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    I started Nov.14th and finished Dec.4th, I worked 3 or 4 hrs. per day on it, take out 4 or 5 days where I didn't do anything on it and my hourly rate doesn't look very good but if money is your only consideration then you are missing the point. This is a hobby for me and its about the journey not the end point, you can't put a price on that. A few further points, I may have overlooked something but you can't get a double belt design in this size (though if there is enough interest the Chinese will change that with something cheap).You can get something for heavy work like this:

Twin 30" Belt Sander/Grinder-1.jpg

But the price will break the bank.Another benefit is the design process which I find as enjoyable as the build.

Carlos

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos B For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 19, 2017)

Thanks
    No I wasn't wondering about the money I was wondering the time period approximately 60 hrs if u spend 3 hrs per day
    That k you for ur explanation

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    No problem Amekdala. Usually the next question is "Well can't you buy it cheaper than time invested". In this case you can't it's not available, and the journey was the best part. Maybe I jumped the gun cheers.

Carlos

Thanks
    Carlos,
    I wouldnt buy it even if it is in the market, Cause it is pleasure to make it or built it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amekdala For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 17, 2017)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    I agree Amekdala. This project was some of the best shop time I have had in a while.It came together just as planned right from the start.

Carlos

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations Carlos B - your Twin Belt Sander/Grinder is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

It's increasingly difficult to win this award with a belt sander, especially in a week with as many high-quality tools as this one. However, you get extra cast-it-yourself points, plus the respect for building your own furnace. And, using an existing 6" grinder dramatically lowers the cost of this build.

Really strong week. Some nice picks: a Lathe Shear Tool by tonyfoale, a set of Metalworking Sharpening Videos by Metaler, a Watchmaker's Staking and Tapping Rig by Britannicus, a Simple Spider by mklotz, Boring Bar Sleeves by Paul Jones, and some other nice tools from Carlos B, including a Welding Fixture and Positioner, a Dual Fuel Melting Furnace, and a 12" Bandsaw. This Large Radius Rolling Brake by KustomsbyKent was notable not only in its own right, but also for its use in his All Terrain Track Chair project. Also interesting was this clever Gas Grill Back Saver by rgsparber, which really made me think about how we can be highlighting tools and techniques made to preserve our bodies.

Carlos B - you'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Please PM me a mailing address, black/white color choice, and size preference, and I'll get it mailed out shortly.

And, we've added the wrench-on-pedestal award to the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

Congrats again and nice job!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 17, 2017)

Thanks

Carlos B's Tools
    Thanks Jon

Carlos
    Last edited by Carlos B; Apr 3, 2017 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Congrats Carlos. When I first looked at your post I thought that it would likely be Tool of the week, good job.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Carlos B (Mar 18, 2017)

Thread Information