Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools

ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER

I’ve found that foods keep for a very long time in the fridge when vacuuum-sealed in “foodsaver” bags which are heat-sealed or welded shut after most air is evacuated.

However, cheese eventually molds, even when protected this way. I’d noticed that cheese doesn’t mold in the original wrapping at the store, so I wonder if killing mold spores in the package after sealing it might result in the cheese lasting a lot longer.

I found a CFL germicidal UV-C lamp at a surplus place. It is a CFL15UV/MED and it appears that these lamps or bulbs are readily available. They have self-contained electronic ballasts so they need only be screwed into a standard E-27 117-volt household light bulb socket to operate.
    ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER-uv-cfl.jpg

They produce germicidal UV-C radiation at 254 nanometer wavelength. The UV output of this 15-watt bulb is about 3.6 watts. If this output is directed into an area of 8” x 10” (about 500 cm2) with 60% efficiency, the resulting irradiance is 7200 microwatts per cm2. A 15-second exposure would be a dose of 108,000 microwatt-seconds per cm2, easily enough to kill mold spores.

To accomplish this, and to protect my eyes and skin from the UV radiation, I needed to make a reflector and housing. I made it of polished aluminum. It fastens directly to the lamp itself. The socket with power cord then screws onto the lamp.
    This is an aluminum-brazed assembly. The material is 18-gage (.040”) aluminum. I used an oxyacetylene torch to do the brazing.

ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER-uvlamp3smr.jpg

ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER-uvlamp2smr.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER-uvlamp3sm.jpg   ULTRAVIOLET CHEESE PRESERVER-uvlamp2sm.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Don42; Oct 5, 2016 at 09:52 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don42 For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Oct 7, 2016), Jerry4Truth (Oct 10, 2016), Jon (Oct 7, 2016), metric_taper (May 11, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Jan 31, 2020), NortonDommi (Dec 31, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 6, 2016), PJs (Oct 5, 2016), rdarrylb (Mar 27, 2024), Sleykin (Apr 29, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Don42! We've added your Cheese Preserver to our Culinary category,
    as well as to your builder page: Don42's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks for the post, this could undoubtedly be used for lots of foods besides cheese. And I would also think even outside of the fridge it could extend useful preservation of some products, with a proper application.

Thanks
    I know a fellow circulating his goldfish pond water though a bank of those bulbs protected by Plexiglas to control the algae in the pond.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Our local waste water treatment station pumps out a mile into the harbour and part of the tunnel is lined with Ultraviolet light banks powered by burning the gas produced as a byproduct of the fermentation of crap. End result is a dry,sterile nutrient rich fertiliser that gets used in forestry blocks and potable water pumped into the fastest flowing,(and biggest), channel in the harbour. Great system.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Our local waste water treatment station pumps out a mile into the harbour and part of the tunnel is lined with Ultraviolet light banks powered by burning the gas produced as a byproduct of the fermentation of crap. End result is a dry,sterile nutrient rich fertiliser that gets used in forestry blocks and potable water pumped into the fastest flowing,(and biggest), channel in the harbour. Great system.
    You doin' okay? Pretty hot here lately. It was over 100F many days in a row. It's a little better now.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information