Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: UMBRELLA REPAIR

Thanks

ranald's Tools

UMBRELLA REPAIR

After a neighbour's Cockatoo (she is a wildlife carer) destroyed the top of our au$500 umbrella, I wasn't impressed but didn't mention it to her ( she is doing such a great job for injured birds) although it was the second one that this had happened to. Cockatoos in the wild crack macadamia nuts like peanuts.
    A subsequent storm sucked up inside the topless umbrella and flung it out of its "well protected" spot beside our pool.
    UMBRELLA REPAIR-rsz_dsc_0834.jpg

Before tackling the storm broken ribs I got a quote on the canvas repair which was $100. I accepted but due to the canvas fade I opted for a contrast colour which I thought best=black.
    UMBRELLA REPAIR-rsz_dsc_0737.jpg

I then setabout using aluminium angle I already had in my spoils and repaired the two broken ribs.

UMBRELLA REPAIR-rsz_dsc_0738.jpg

Cheap $100 canvas umbrella. P.s. The bird returned to our other umbrella so mentioned it in passing so the poor thing is caged permanently now in an avery but better than the 1 cubic metre usual cages that folk keep them in.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 6, 2019), PJs (Feb 7, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Nice repair and would hardly know it was there.

I had a similar situation with a patio umbrella we keep in our front court yard. We forgot to close it down one evening and a nighttime windstorm lifted the umbrella up and broke two of the inside support ribs. It could have been a lot worst because the umbrella landed about about two feet from a 100 year+ set of leaded glass bay windows.

We have another patio umbrella by the backyard pool and several of the canvas pockets at the end of the canvas shade were ripped out. I used thick copper sheeting to make 1" X 3" rectangular plates with rounded corners. I drilled two holes in each and the holes went through the underside support brackets and through the canvas. Using long pop rivets I attached the copper plates from above and into the under support brackets. This was an easy fix and saved us from buying a new canvas cover.

Regards,
    Paul

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 7, 2019)

Thanks
    I splinted these umbrellas, myself, several times. Yours is a more permanent, durable and nicer looking fix, though. (I would have thought to spray paint the fix to match but then that handiwork may go completely unnoticed!)

BTW, I know exactly why you put "well protected" spot in quotes. Its gotten to the point where I've had damage to those umbrellas so many times from the wind that if I know we'll be having high winds, I just go outside beforehand and lay them down on the patio before the wind does it in its own less-than-caring manner!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeVanGeaux For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 10, 2019), PJs (Feb 7, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    31 second video. @25: "a wind sensor will close the umbrella when the wind blows too hard".

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 10, 2019), PJs (Feb 8, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    that's cool Jon! the cost? I like it despite the tech 7 resultant mtce.

After a cockatoo has destroyed the top, minor birds and others steal the threads, extending damage, presumably for their nests and that is why i didn't choose a blue repair contrast, because of our bower birds.
    cheers

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    I splinted these umbrellas, myself, several times. Yours is a more permanent, durable and nicer looking fix, though. (I would have thought to spray paint the fix to match but then that handiwork may go completely unnoticed!)

BTW, I know exactly why you put "well protected" spot in quotes. Its gotten to the point where I've had damage to those umbrellas so many times from the wind that if I know we'll be having high winds, I just go outside beforehand and lay them down on the patio before the wind does it in its own less-than-caring manner!
    Yeah Joe, I do the same and unfortunately some severe storms (with or without hail) spring up in minutes so it is a dash for cars,animals, close house windows & maybe open some on down wind side, get tools/welding gear in shed. just not enough time for everything & there's times when day forcasts are perfect & look so and go out & not home when calamity strikes. At least small dogs are locked in during those times due to Eagles, hawks & jo blakes.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 10, 2019)

Thread Information