Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Underground missile door mechanism - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

Underground missile door mechanism - video

Underground missile door mechanism. 16-second video. Turn up the volume.

Why is this so satisfying? My guess is that this is a lesser-known type of ASMR video, and the sound is acting as an acoustic ASMR trigger.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Nov 29, 2021), dubbby (Apr 25, 2020), gunsgt1863 (Oct 21, 2017), KustomsbyKent (Oct 10, 2017), rendoman (Oct 12, 2017), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 10, 2019), Seedtick (Oct 10, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    If you say so. It only sounded like click clunk swoosh bang to me. Now the swoosh thumpa thumpa swoosh of helicopter rotor blades accompanied with Richard Wagner's - The Flight of the Valkyries blasting over mega horns stimulates an Autonomous sensory meridian response

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    The Minutemen silos are built to withstand nearby nuclear strikes [for obvious reasons, they're targets for the enemy]. The silo cover is a multi-ton concrete slab that's blown aside by an explosive blast. What comes blasting out of that hole is one of the most destructive objects ever created.

The video below suffers from a ridiculously long introduction and credits. Jump forward to about 1:55 and watch from there to see the lid being slid aside.

---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Oct 13, 2017), Seedtick (Oct 10, 2017)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    impressive!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Ron B's Tools
    Most of those old silos are long abandoned now and exist more as monument to proflgate spending by governments in the past .

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    Most of those old silos are long abandoned now and exist more as monument to proflgate spending by governments in the past.
    I guess I don't understand how defending your country can be considered "proflgate (sic) spending".

Hardened ICBM bunkers were a key element of the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) doctrine. Even if you launch an all-out attack on us, our retaliation capabilities will survive and you'll suffer as much damage as you inflicted. It's terribly sad that mankind has devolved to the point where this doctrine makes sense; nevertheless, it's kept us from a nuclear exchange for a very long time.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 10, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I will probably catch some flack from this but so beit.
    If you ask me I feel that the US and the old Soviet relations although tenuous at best did as much to help stabilize the world as it did to create tensions The collapse of the Soviet Union created huge voids in many parts of the world. The US Federal Government is not without its faults either And now the EU is learning that it's model of government is frail as well since economies of various States will always differ due to regional or cultural differences.
    I do not have a panacea which could magically solve any of the differences around the world, but I do firmly believe the decommissioning and destruction of 1000's of short medium and long range missiles and warheads by both the USA and now Russia has been partially a mistake
    Lets not forget that 1000's of technologies we now take for granted were the direct result of weapons and missile developments
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 13, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I do firmly believe the decommissioning and destruction of 1000's of short medium and long range missiles and warheads by both the USA and now Russia has been partially a mistake
    MAD (as mentioned by mklotz), and more broadly, deterrence theory - are both well within the spectrum of reasonable conversation about preventing armed conflict. It's possible that weapons buildup may prevent more destruction than weapons decommissioning. True or not, this is a difficult irony to accept.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Ron B's Tools
    I see it from a different angle. I consider that the money was wasted especially after seeing the numbers of silos built, the amount of work it took to keep weapon "locked and loaded" and then with a change of Government ,the whole lot scrapped . I was in Russia when Yeltsin came to power as an interested tourist . My route there had taken me up the middle east (Iraq ) . I got to see a lot of the soviet era equipment up close because it was everywhere and folks just seemed to be helping themselves to it,especially Gaz 4x's. On the Russian ,military's own TV channel I watched an Article on the problems facing the soldiers at that time .One group were in charge of a fleet of mobile missile launchers, really big machines, just like Nth Korea is displaying right now . The problem was ,the computers were all valve operated units which would arm and set a missile by itself thanks to corrosion in the equipment. And even the TV's in the various Hotels i stayed in were color but full of vacuum valves. :-) . At that point i understood completely what was happening. The US had told us for 40 years that the soviets were our enemy and that we were all under the threat of nuclear annihilation ,but how? . None of the missiles i saw looked capable of leaving Russia let alone wipe out Europe or the US. We were played for fools by the US arms industry and it's happening all over again, with Clinton selling uranium to Iran, iran selling rocket technology to nth Korea and Nth Korea being made to look like some sort of aggressor. I haven't been to Korea but the population of the nth is half starved and wouldn't be capable of fighting any sort of war today. But further to all of this, A relation was employed by a company called marconi systems . A secretive outfit whose founder invented radio. His job was installing radar controlled missile systems and one of the big jobs was to install some in a country which overseas the Straits of Hormuz. With all of the trouble in the middle east since 1948, you will never find any information about this country in any news reports etc. Why? because they had actually have the weaponry on hand to wipe most nearby nations off the map .No Isi ,Iraq, Saudi or Iranian problems there. So, when the Argentine's decided to try and steal the Falkland Islands from Gt Britain, Maggie Thatcher ordered the Royal nay to be ready at 24 hours notice. Unfortunately, the fancy radar controlled missile systems they had (US sourced in the main ) didn't exist. it was all a front for the UK taxpayer. So marconi had 24 hours to actually install enough working weapons systems in a few ships so they could sail for the Falklands. little wonder the badly trained Argentine fighter pilots and the naval exocets were able to cause so much damge to the Royal navy's fleet .Yet another case of spending to make a government look good but one whioch could have ended in a worse disaster .

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
    I see it from a different angle. I consider that the money was wasted especially after seeing the numbers of silos built, the amount of work it took to keep weapon "locked and loaded" and then with a change of Government ,the whole lot scrapped . I was in Russia when Yeltsin came to power as an interested tourist . My route there had taken me up the middle east (Iraq ) . I got to see a lot of the soviet era equipment up close because it was everywhere and folks just seemed to be helping themselves to it,especially Gaz 4x's. On the Russian ,military's own TV channel I watched an Article on the problems facing the soldiers at that time .One group were in charge of a fleet of mobile missile launchers, really big machines, just like Nth Korea is displaying right now . The problem was ,the computers were all valve operated units which would arm and set a missile by itself thanks to corrosion in the equipment. And even the TV's in the various Hotels i stayed in were color but full of vacuum valves. :-) . At that point i understood completely what was happening. The US had told us for 40 years that the soviets were our enemy and that we were all under the threat of nuclear annihilation ,but how? . None of the missiles i saw looked capable of leaving Russia let alone wipe out Europe or the US. We were played for fools by the US arms industry and it's happening all over again, with Clinton selling uranium to Iran, iran selling rocket technology to nth Korea and Nth Korea being made to look like some sort of aggressor. I haven't been to Korea but the population of the nth is half starved and wouldn't be capable of fighting any sort of war today. But further to all of this, A relation was employed by a company called marconi systems . A secretive outfit whose founder invented radio. His job was installing radar controlled missile systems and one of the big jobs was to install some in a country which overseas the Straits of Hormuz. With all of the trouble in the middle east since 1948, you will never find any information about this country in any news reports etc. Why? because they had actually have the weaponry on hand to wipe most nearby nations off the map .No Isi ,Iraq, Saudi or Iranian problems there. So, when the Argentine's decided to try and steal the Falkland Islands from Gt Britain, Maggie Thatcher ordered the Royal nay to be ready at 24 hours notice. Unfortunately, the fancy radar controlled missile systems they had (US sourced in the main ) didn't exist. it was all a front for the UK taxpayer. So marconi had 24 hours to actually install enough working weapons systems in a few ships so they could sail for the Falklands. little wonder the badly trained Argentine fighter pilots and the naval exocets were able to cause so much damge to the Royal navy's fleet .Yet another case of spending to make a government look good but one whioch could have ended in a worse disaster .
    "I see it from a different angle. I consider that the money was wasted especially after seeing the numbers of silos built, the amount of work it took to keep weapon "locked and loaded" and then with a change of Government ,the whole lot scrapped ."

So you would have preferred to continue the arms race with each nation adding to its weapon complement? Most folks feel more comfortable with fewer and fewer nuclear weapons available to their and other governments.

"The problem was ,the computers were all valve operated units which would arm and set a missile by itself thanks to corrosion in the equipment."

Two points here. First, there has never been an accidental launch of an ICBM. Both the USA and the USSR carefully forewarned the other when a test launch was to be made. ICBMs aren't carried around on mobile launchers. Yes, after the collapse of the Soviet Union maintenance of Soviet military equipment deteriorated but they realized the consequences of a mistake with the nuclear stuff so they must have made a special effort there.

Secondly, don't underestimate tube electronics. Tubes are relatively insensitive to the EMP resulting from a nuclear explosion whereas solid state electronics are very susceptible to damage. The use of tubes does demonstrate how they lagged in solid state development but the resulting hardness of their designs were a happy benefit of that developmental lag.

"None of the missiles i saw looked capable of leaving Russia let alone wipe out Europe or the US."

They probably weren't capable of leaving Russia. If you saw missiles on mobile launchers they were probably battlefield tactical missiles with only short range capability.

"We were played for fools by the US arms industry and it's happening all over again, with Clinton selling uranium to Iran, iran selling rocket technology to nth Korea and Nth Korea being made to look like some sort of aggressor."

So you don't consider North Korea firing unannounced missiles over Japanese airspace aggressive? Given the geographic proximity of Australia to North Korea, you might want to rethink your opinion.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Thread Information