Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps

Shown is a 2.5” diameter faceplate and set of small faceplate clamps for my 3” swing Unimat SL 1000 lathe. The faceplate is made from 12L14 steel machined on the face with evenly spaced 0.1” witness marks. The clamping holes are evenly spaced and tap for 10-32 screws.

I also made three faceplate clamps from C360 brass. These have an additional 10-32 round C360 brass nut on the backside for the clamping screw to use on the faceplate that came with the Unimat and shown in the last photo. The round nuts are not needed for the 2.5" faceplate. Each clamp has separate 4-40 screw for leveling the clamp.

The idea for the brass faceplate clamps came from one of the tool articles published at Adventures in Watchmaking** - Home and I previously posted another version of the clamps at Homemade Faceplate Clamps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-faceplate-clamps-used-unimat-sl.jpg   Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-faceplate-holds-part-arbor-press.jpg   Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-using-unimat-tap-4-40-leveling-screw-thread-clamp.jpg   Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-finished-face-plate-clamps.jpg   Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-taping-4-40-thread-leveling-screw-clamp.jpg  

Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-faceplate-clamps-stored-unimat-cabinet.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Oct 19, 2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added another photo

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Nov 26, 2014), Doc (Nov 28, 2014), jjr2001 (May 29, 2018), kbalch (Dec 1, 2014), PJs (May 31, 2018), rlm98253 (Oct 16, 2017)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Nice set up Paul for those small hard to cut parts. I like it because its fast Great job...:O)

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 26, 2014)

Thanks

Vernon's Tools
    The picture makes it look so big than when you read it you than realize it will fit in your hand but nice job.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vernon For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 26, 2014)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    It has come in handy several times. Thanks

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Very nice, Vernon. More ideas added to my personal knowledge base.

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Unimat Faceplate and Clamps to our Lathes and Workholding categories, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Hi Paul,

An awesome project, as well as interesting and useful homemade tools! Your Unimat Faceplate and Clamps are the 'Tools of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Unimat Lathe Faceplate and Faceplate Clamps-screenshot2014-10-02at42754pm_zps512bfe68.jpg

Let me know (via PM) your size, color choice, and mailing address. We'll get the shirt in the mail to you directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to Paul for making such a valuable contribution!

Thanks
    Very nice, thank you for taking the time to show us.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrisk7 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 27, 2018)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Hi Chisk7,

This small lathe and the homemade accessories have proven to be be very useful over the years on projects requiring a small lathe ( http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...0111#post11976 ).

I bought the 3” swing Unimat SL1000 lathe new in 1970 when I worked part-time in the School of Oceanography, University of Washington designing and building underwater oceanographic research equipment. My part-time job helped to pay for my undergrad degree education physics and geophysical oceanography before going on to a MS and PhD in geophysics. In grad school starting in 1973 I thought I would continue designing and making underwater geophysical research equipment in grad school but my future career changed forever when our my research was performed using computer simulations with mainframe computers and minicomputers for geophysical research in oil and gas exploration. My new development platform became FORTRAN programming rather than machine tools. I have been involved in information technology most of my career but still wanted to do machining. That is when I decided to continue being a hobbyist machinist (I started when I was 14) and the passion has continued and only gets better over time.

Thank you for your comments,

Regards,
    Paul Jones
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jan 28, 2018 at 08:57 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 31, 2018)

Thread Information