Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Unimat Lathe QCTP Tool Holders

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Unimat Lathe QCTP Tool Holders

A few years ago I purchased a Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) and several QCTP Tool Holders designed for use on Sherline and Unimat types of lathes (these are small lathes with approximately 3” swings). This year I decided to make more of the tool holders with the QCTP 60 degree slip-on dovetail design.

Pictured are a few of the ones I built. Shown is a tool holder for ¼” dia. solid carbide boring bars and grooving tools from Micro 100. This tool holder can also hold a sliding center punch used for layout work when using the indexing plate on the lathe headstock (see the HMT postings for adapting indexing plates to the Unimat). Another photo shows another tool holder for ½” dia. Cobalt HSS boring bars equipped with small diameter cutting edges.

All the tool holders are fabricated from 6061-T6 aluminum bar stock, height adjustment cap screws are 10-32, and 8-32 cap head screws for boring bar clamping screws. Also shown is a single 6-32 screw used to register the flat spot on the Micro 100 boring and grooving bars.

More photos and information about the Unimat modifications can be seen at http://www.homemadetools.net/lathe-modifications .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unimat Lathe QCTP Tool Holders-cutting-clamping-slot-qctp-boring-bar-holder.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 21, 2016 at 08:55 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

a3990918 (Jan 16, 2015), kbalch (Nov 10, 2014)

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Nice job ...
    Tell me, The disk with hole in the lathe, is a divisor?

2000 Tool Plans
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Hotz,
    Great question. The part with the hole is in the lathe chuck and being center punched to mark three holes spaced at 120 degrees. Not shown in the photo is the index plate attached to the spindle and used as the divisor. Please see my photos for adapting the Taig index plates to a Unimat lathe and milling head (Homemade Indexing Plate for Unimat SL Lathe).

By the way the brass part is part of a replacement part for holding apples in an old fashion hand cranked apple peeler and slicer. My wife asked me to fix it. I made the new part from stainless steel and brass, much better than the original part. My wife makes wonderful apple pies and apple crisp using the apple corer/slicer to quickly prepare the apples.
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Feb 29, 2016 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Paul thanks for update, congratulations on the job, I really enjoyed his adaptation.
    Can I see you feeling proud by finishing his work and be able to use. (I hope you understand me).

Paul

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Paul of a look at this mini lathe, many possibilities ...

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thank you for the YouTube video to the the versatile Lorch KD 50 Lathe. There are several features I would like to adapt to my lathes. Lots of possibilities indeed!

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Thank you for the YouTube video to the the versatile Lorch KD 50 Lathe. There are several features I would like to adapt to my lathes. Lots of possibilities indeed!
    I thought so ... Great ideas for you ..

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your QCTP Holders to our Lathes category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Nov 10, 2014)

Thread Information