Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws

My 3” swing Unimat SL lathe uses M6-1 cap head socket screws for locking and clamping the tailstock. I replaced the M6 cap head socket screws with my version of clamping screws with swing-out levers to apply more torque. The swing-out levers eliminate using Allen wrenches.

The clamping screws were machined from 3/8” dia. 1018 CRS bar, the M6 threads cut with a tailstock mounted die, and the knurl is 21 pitch (whereby the 3/8” dia. was reduced to 0.364 before knurling). The swing out levers are 0.062” x 0.365” x 1.20” machined with 11/64” radii from 1/16” steel support rails salvaged from electronics rack panels. The slots in the clamping screw heads are 0.063” wide by 0.450” deep. The levers are retained with 3/32” roll pins shortened to fit.

More information and photos about the improvements to the Unimat SL lathe can be viewed at Homemade Lathe Modifications .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-lever-action-clamp-screws-unimat-sl-tailstock.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-new-lever-action-clamp-screws-unimat-sl-tailstock.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-unimat-sl-lever-action-clamping-screws-headstock-tailstock.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-original-clamp-screws-unimat-sl-tailstock.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-unimat-sl-tailstock-lever-action-clamp-screws.jpg  

Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-layout-radius-ends-clamping-levers.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-cutting-slot-tailstock-clamping-screw.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-applying-21-pitch-knurl-0.364-dia-rod.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-drilling-cross-hole-tailstock-clamping-screw.jpg   Unimat SL Tailstock Lever Action Clamping Screws-fixture-holding-tailstock-clamping-screw-cutting-slot.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Apr 1, 2016 at 09:27 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

12L14 (Jul 31, 2019), Altair (Dec 20, 2015), dshookowsky (Jul 20, 2019), jjr2001 (Sep 1, 2016), Jon (Dec 21, 2015), kbalch (Dec 20, 2015), PJs (Dec 21, 2015), Ralphxyz (Sep 20, 2022), uv8452 (Sep 16, 2022), zarembak (Jul 19, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,659 Times in 9,850 Posts
    Lever locks are one of the most useful lathe mods. Making short work of tailstock adjustments leads to an increased productivity.

Al

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 20, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Paul! We've added your Tailstock Clamping Screws to our Lathe Accessories category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Dec 22, 2015)

Thanks
    I like this just for seeing what can be done with/to a Unimat. I inherited my Father-in-law's SL and I'd like to use it more.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dshookowsky For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jul 7, 2020)

Thread Information