Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Unimat SL1000 & DB200, Accessories?

Thanks

Hemi's Tools

Question Unimat SL1000 & DB200, Accessories?

Guys,
    I'm not sure to post this, BUT I thought here would be the best place!

As some of you have read already, I have 2 Unimats.... One, set up as a Milling Machine/Drill Press, and the Second one, set up as a Metal Lathe...

Now, I have SEVERAL Accessories to BOTH machines, as those of you that have one, know theres the "basic" stuff with the Little Machine Shop in a Box.... So with that, I have several other attachments/accessories too. I have 2 Steady Rests, one I plan to make the brass contacts points to have really small roller bearing contacts, to machine plastic and not "mar" it. And then I have all sorts of other stuff, Dividing Head with the 48 division gear in them both (I'd like to get at least one full set of the dividing gears at some point)

Then, I have the auto-feed on the lathe. And to that, I have a 4-jaw independant headstock chuck, two 3-jaw headstock chucks, and the tailstock "drill" chuck.

Now to give you reading this an idea of m,y interests, I'm a model builder, I make a lot of my own parts, I even resin mold just about everything I make! BUT, I know when "milling" its not good to use the drill press chuck to hold end mills, and I got a Collet set to fit my machine.... Either of them!

The reason for this posting is I want to find out what a "FULL" set of collets consist of? How many? in both SAE & Metric sizes....

The reason is to have/look to get them, and more to that, I plan to make a cabinet to house ALL the accessories to my 2 machines mounted on the wall behind them. SO to make a special section of the cabinet, I want to make that area big enough to hold EACH collet insert, as well as the collet chuck and headstock lead. NOW, the collets? ER-16's.

THEN another question, on the ER-16's, are they the only "size/type" collect to fit a Unimat? As the largest ER-16 collet I have is 3/8ths, as I have I think a little set, of 6 collets. Can say an ER-20 set be used on the Unimats, and if so, do I need to have a different headstock lead to hold them?

Thanks for reading and any help/guidance is greatly appreciated!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Hemi; Jun 27, 2017 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks

Hemi's Tools
    So NO ONE knows how many ER16 collets there are in both SAE & Metric? Absolutely HARD TO BELIEVE in a forum dedicated to tools......

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Most standard sizes of the ER16 from 1/32" through 7/16" including metric from 1 mm through 10 mm would be a total of 33
    Copied from https://www.maritool.com/
    ER16 series collets have a capacity of .015-.4375 inches. Each ER16 collet has a range of .039 inches(1mm). ER16 Collets .118 and smaller have a range of only .015 inches. The size indicated on the collet is the largest size it can hold and can be collapsed smaller within its collapse range mentioned above. For example, ER16-1/4 can grab a round shank from .250 diameter to .211 diameter. Please refer to our ER16 Collet print for general ER16 dimensions.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I used to have an Index mill that used the ER 50 a standard set for it was 20 but the ER 50 being much larger had a wider grip range than the other ER collets
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Within reason and lathe swing, you could machine a holder for a larger collet range. As long as it fits threaded spindle connection, and the nut clears the carriage, anything goes...
    The tapers need to match - nobody will care what thread combination you have.
    Whether spindle bearings can bear the load at speed is a different story. Mini lathes haven't a great deal of space between inboard and outboard bearing is a function of rigidity.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 28, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Hemi,

I too own a UNIMAT SL 1000 that I bought new in 1970. I have modified and improved the small 3" swing lathe (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111 ).

Included in the modifications are a homemade ER16 collet chuck (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/e...0273#post57039 ) made form 1144 stressproof steel and measures 0.0004" TIR using high-precision Techniks collets. Later, I discovered a way to grind the ER16 chuck to even better TIR (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/u...6880#post67090 ) using a grinding experiment with a chuck ID TIR of at 0.0001” without the collet and a measured TIR around 0.0005” when using the collet in the ER16 chuck and gage pin for measuring combined TIR mesaured at 1" from the collet face.

One of the most important facts is no matter how accurate the collet chuck ID is in TIR, the ultimate quality of the ER16 collets determine the overall TIR accuracy. In addition, it is possible to ruin the TIR of high quality ER16 collets so don't over-stress these by extending their holding range beyond the intended 1mm extension range of the collets.

Regards,

Paul Jones
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jun 27, 2017 at 09:37 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 28, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Hemi,

I too own a UNIMAT SL 1000 that I bought new in 1970. I have modified and improved the small 3" swing lathe (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111 ).

Included in the modifications are a homemade ER16 collet chuck (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/e...0273#post57039 ) made form 1144 stressproof steel and measures 0.0004" TIR using high-precision Techniks collets. Later, I discovered a way to grind the ER16 chuck to even better TIR (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/u...6880#post67090 ) using a grinding experiment with a chuck ID TIR of at 0.0001” without the collet and a measured TIR around 0.0005” when using the collet in the ER16 chuck and gage pin for measuring combined TIR mesaured at 1" from the collet face.

One of the most important facts is no matter how accurate the collet chuck ID is in TIR, the ultimate quality of the ER16 collets determine the overall TIR accuracy. In addition, it is possible to ruin the TIR of high quality ER16 collets so don't over-stress these by extending their holding range beyond the intended 1mm extension range of the collets.

Regards,

Paul Jones
    The Unimat collets are E-16 and not ER-16. Sounds like semantics but they are not the same. ER system collets have a snap ring and the Shaublin E-16 collets for the Unimat do not.

Kindest Regards, Les

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockytime For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 28, 2017)

Thanks
    Sorry Paul, I gave you information you already knew. After reading your post on upgrades I realize you perhaps know more about collets than I. Your mods are very nice. I had two Unimat3's years ago. I wish I had not sold them.

Kindest Regards, Les

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockytime For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 29, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockytime View Post
    Sorry Paul, I gave you information you already knew. After reading your post on upgrades I realize you perhaps know more about collets than I. Your mods are very nice. I had two Unimat3's years ago. I wish I had not sold them. Kindest Regards, Les
    If you like a tool or machine and can afford it, buy it. If your appraisal was accurate, it will prove it's worth. Allow time to wring out what something can do.
    Then, like Warren Buffet and his stock purchasing method, keep it. It's rare to own and tool up, sell, and expect to replace at the cost of 'old money'.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Rockytime ,

Thank you for the comment and information. The original collets intended for the Unimat SL 1000 lathe from the 1960's and beyond timeframe were the Shaublin E16 style. I have still a few of the E16 collets and also the original E16 collet chuck from when I bought the Unimat lathe new in 1970. Unfortunately the Unimat SL 10000 has the old style E16 collet chuck using the Shaublin E-16 style collets and these have become very difficult and expensive to find (check out some of the too expensive asking prices on eBay). This is why I switched to the more easily obtained and far less expensive ER16 style collets (I use the ER16 collets from Techniks with TIR of 0.0002") and made the new ER16 chuck to fit the Unimat SL 1000 M12X1 spindle nose thread.

Thank you for reading through my postings on the subject.

Regards,

Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Jul 1, 2017 at 05:04 PM.

Thread Information