Remove advertisements

Thread: Unimog short video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,708 Posts

Unimog short video

A nice 3:23 video of the Unimog.

1:48 - Attachment options for riding train rails, farming, and snowblowing.
    2:19 - Steering wheel slides across dash to switch between right-hand and left-hand drive.
    2:25 - Equipped with three mower arms.

One famous Unimog feature that the video doesn't mention: portal axles. With portal axles, not only is ground clearance increased, but there is a reduction gearbox in the hub. This reduces torque on the other drivetrain components, which means the drivetrain can be built lighter. It works like this:

Previously: Autobiography of a Jeep

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

blkadder (04-18-2018), Moby Duck (10-22-2017)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Love the sliding steering wheel, but I wonder what they do about the foot pedals that are left behind when the wheel is slid across.
    My wife has an old BMW, sold new by the factory as a Right Hand drive, but obviously designed as a Left Hand drive and rather annoyingly the blinker stalk is on the wrong side of the steering wheel, as it would be in the sliding Unimog example. Small things such as the bonnet/hood release catch, also end up on the passenger side and is unreachable from the drivers seat. Took me a long time searching under the dashboard on the drivers side before I found that one. Wiper blade sweep has the full clear arc in front of the passenger and the driver gets the chopped one. I wouldn't buy another.
    My memories of the Unimog military truck version is that the back tray is very high, about 6ft, which makes them hard to get in and out of in a hurry, and it also makes them difficult to load anything heavy. In the early 1970's it was very common to see them broken down on the road side in Singapore and other parts of Asia with their propeller shafts lying one end on the ground.

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 173 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

173 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information