Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Unique tractor turning method - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re Frank S and other conscientious motor powered vehicles & vessels: We make transportation work, vigilant toward mechanics and regulations of operation.
    On the road, air or water, the only government oversight that gets my 'approval' or appreciation is bedded in those rules. Naturally, excesses abound, but nothing comes to mind that combines reality of mechanics, physics, human abilities, the volume of operators, and vehicular means. I'm also confident this shows only clear evidence of them using every means of information to create workable codes.
    There might be four classes of drivers. First are those aware whats-what like Frank S described, though I'm not sure each can verbalize that knowledge at the drop of a hat.
    Second are those who seem aware, is more that others do properly which accommodate lesser drivers, second group thinking they operate safely. Their daily routine is circuitous too, at ease because little is unfamiliar.
    Third, works in a false comfort zone bound by their fenders, forcing groups one and two to work harder avoiding them.
    Fourth, a thankfully small party, like the third but without comforts, social responsibility, vehicle maintenance, insurance or wish to improve. Their driving habits look as though continually late for work. Running lights or stops, curb sneaking, tailgating, snap lane changes, weaving, what speed limit, making every lane a personal fast lane, forcing others retract in narrow streets...not to mention POS vehicles.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    TM51 it is my belief that technology infusion into vehicles is creating or already has in part created a 5th class of drivers. who are little more than circus animals riding in or on vehicles which remind me of Post turtle politicians these drivers are in positions they have no business being where they are they could not be there without the assistance of those who made the vehicle's systems, those systems have elevated their confidence above their experience and when something goes wrong or happens they have no clue what to do.
    The advent of power steering reduced the need to have physical strength to drive the inclusion of power brakes reduced the requirement of strength a little further.
    no argument both of these did make vehicles safer to operate.
    the addition of automatic transmissions reduced the skill level required to drive a vehicle.
    Just about the only real improvement to come down the pike in my opinion that was true safety related to a vehicle was the invention of steel belted radial tires.
    I class everything else as quasi safety related allowing lessor drivers to survive, since vehicles already had PS/ PB and automatic transmissions to reduce driver fatigue nothing else is relevant given a driver has the proper skill levels, experience and most of all attention to the task at hand.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 17, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Dec 15, 2018)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    IMO Technical infusion is the salesman perspective; few automakers can sell what was hot last year. Their [some] customers would not purchase Xthousands worth if you can join "a 5th class of drivers. who are little more than circus animals riding in or on vehicles" was a sales pitch.
    Observations of useful improvements well taken. I hope remarkable gas mileage is best result of the auto-transmission. Compared, I don't know, with lame hide-away wipers. Takes all the fun out of icy mornings...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    taking all the fun out of icy mornings I do this by simply plugging in an extension cord into an inline coolant heater go out of a morning the engine is at a near low operating temperature the natural convection and circulation of heated coolant through the system slows or even in some instances prevents ice from sticking to the warm windshield the cab is well above outside ambient the engine is warm to the touch and it starts imeadiatly even though it had 500,000+ miles on the old IDI non turbo engine.
    I still am a firm believer that a manual transmission in a skilled operator will yield better fuel mileage except possibly when the auto transmission as they are designed today are more similar to auto controlled manual gear boxes with as many as 8 or more gear ratios. We now have locking converters that function almost like a direct coupled clutch instead of the old slush pit turbine vanes which while great at transmitting a higher torque advantage and smoother start off than a friction clutch could. even at the expense of not having good gear reduction in the gear train.
    I have compared the fuel consumption reports of my bud's truck since we installed the 18 speed compared to when it had the 10 speed his fuel mileage per gallon consumed went up an astounding 20% over a 150,000 mile summery.
    the 17 year old truck with 950,000 miles on it still shows a lower cost per mile than the newer 2018 trucks running a similar amount of HP but with automatic transmissions can obtain. even if you consider those trucks as being paid for like his is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 16, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    re: "I do this by simply plugging in an extension cord into an inline coolant heater"

I loved being in Alaska and seeing every parking meter had a outlet or even a cord for the engine heaters.

Ralph

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    .....re;
    I have compared the fuel consumption reports of my bud's truck since we installed the 18 speed compared to when it had the 10 speed his fuel mileage per gallon consumed went up an astounding 20% over a 150,000 mile summery.
    the 17 year old truck with 950,000 miles on it still shows a lower cost per mile than the newer 2018 trucks running a similar amount of HP but with automatic transmissions can obtain. even if you consider those trucks as being paid for like his is.
    Soon [as if not busy enough] it'll be time to exercise wallet moths IYKWIM. Ain't no trucker but have what should be advantageous in my operation; occasional OTW to haul back machine & material finds, and local for construction materials to complete the building. 20' flatbed 1979 F8000, CAT3208 non-turbo, Fuller 13, tandem differential, 4 duals, 52k GVW. It was a transit mixer, then a construction [tilt] flatbed still. Bought from local construction yard. Looks like hell but drives very nicely. Being I can't have a fleet of trucks, this and a low-boy forklift trailer should do pretty well.
    I wish the 'Trick My Truck' reality program was still operating, would be a great candidate. But all those were tractor/ sleepers.Unique tractor turning method - GIF-f8000.jpg
    Later year, no visible differences, other than stake pockets. Even the same wheels, with mixer sized rubber. And this lists 3x more $ with higher road miles.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 16, 2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Soon [as if not busy enough] it'll be time to exercise wallet moths IYKWIM. Ain't no trucker but have what should be advantageous in my operation; occasional OTW to haul back machine & material finds, and local for construction materials to complete the building. 20' flatbed 1979 F8000, CAT3208 non-turbo, Fuller 13, tandem differential, 4 duals, 52k GVW. It was a transit mixer, then a construction [tilt] flatbed still. Bought from local construction yard. Looks like hell but drives very nicely. Being I can't have a fleet of trucks, this and a low-boy forklift trailer should do pretty well.
    I wish the 'Trick My Truck' reality program was still operating, would be a great candidate. But all those were tractor/ sleepers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8000.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	26961
    Later year, no visible differences, other than stake pockets. Even the same wheels, with mixer sized rubber. And this lists 3x more $ with higher road miles.
    Drive it sown to Texas sometime and we'll trick it

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Drive it sown to Texas sometime and we'll trick it
    Hoooooboy. I have such a list for her; starting with waaaayyy bigger tanks. Two 50 gallon seems short range. I keep forgetting to check for a PTO, but must be to run pump for the bed, cylinder is there. A rail lift gate, 4k min. Pintle hook, safety chain loops, glad hands for trailer. Receiver hitch for little trailers. Sliding winch rails. Re-wire in conduit, all LED's. Underbed boxes. Bed for dog between the seats.
    Oop's, starting to sound like a owner-operator.
    A day cab doesn't stop me, chasing a gem is worth driving to retrieve.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 16, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Hoooooboy. I have such a list for her; starting with waaaayyy bigger tanks. Two 50 gallon seems short range. I keep forgetting to check for a PTO, but must be to run pump for the bed, cylinder is there. A rail lift gate, 4k min. Pintle hook, safety chain loops, glad hands for trailer. Receiver hitch for little trailers. Sliding winch rails. Re-wire in conduit, all LED's. Underbed boxes. Bed for dog between the seats.
    Oop's, starting to sound like a owner-operator.
    A day cab doesn't stop me, chasing a gem is worth driving to retrieve.
    Maybe I need to have Bob drop by with the landoll and winch it on to the trailer I've got some of that stuff just laying around.
    Remember it would be Franknized and probably with my Kryptonite steel though.
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 16, 2018 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    I don't or won't own a SUV. My status has never been measured by 4 wheels [sometimes 2 though].
    Bulk of SUV owners are victim of advertising "you can go here, you can do this, come back from there..." nonsense; thereby convinced of their new found invincibility. Sorry!
    Drive down any street. Take pictures of SUV's, even most 4 x 4's, with dirt in the wheel wells. Maybe, if they forgot to hose down the driveway.
    Sorry!
    Hereabouts evidence another vein of SUV jockeys; as if 24" wheels and O-rings for tires enhance SU handling portion of SUV...
    Sorry!
    There is an interesting article in Dec 2018 of "Unsealed 4X4 " magazine(issue 057: P. 35-42) that covers a LOVE_HATE Relationship for a serious traveller owner of a 4x4 vehicle where (in this case Iveco) the manufacturer hasn't done the homework before release of the vehicle. Very dangerous & expensive problems for driver/owner & occupants. probs encounted with poor brakes (failed after 1 k during a 7k downrange incline) becoming so hot as to loosen wheel nuts, destroy most breaking parts & ignored by service agent. He adapted F250 & Cadallic gear & discs to resolve after being told it can't be done. Transfer case blew apart as there was nothing to hold a circlip in place=cant be done but he resolved it with a custom make clamp to hold the circlip in place and no more planetry gears falling out but voids the warrenty. The transfer had a design faulty breather causing more problems than fixing.( this reminds me of a Kubote B1750HST I purchased & during assembly, the staff tightened the seat over the trans breather which blew out in under 2 hours on the clock-human error here though) .He extended the breather & re-engineered the trans mounts to correct this.Voiding warrenty again but couldn't use 4wd with confidence as computer was forgetful! Installed a plug & play diff lock computer after colabaration with folk in South america experiancing same issues-certainly don't want to be stuck near an erupting volcano.Installed exhaust brakes, fixed other stuff. GREAT READ.

I would have set a match to it as I would have been unable to resolve the issues: the cost of resolution by experts would be unrealistic also, esp when "it can't be done" by service mechanics.

I had a friend who back traded his fully optioned "sahara" for an Audi Q7 V8 and was so so happy.

All in the right technology, I guess, even if an experienced driver.

cheers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 16, 2018)

Thread Information