Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uses for worn multitool blades

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old_toolmaker View Post
    olderdan,

I have seen the multitools in the stores but have never owned one. For some strange reason I am seldom an early adopter of anything. Are they just a reincarnation of a detail sander?
    I used to think that they were just another gimicy tool but I witnessed a friend use one to cut off an aluminium boss that would have been inaccessible by other means. After that I bought one and it has been useful since for similar tasks. However, for most tasks i think that better tools exist.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I've only used a recip/ Multi tool twice. But nothing else would access ends of installed boards under roofing, even from topside. Not even room for mallet and wood chisel. To me, what they are most like is Biax mechanized machine scrapers.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I've only used a recip/ Multi tool twice. But nothing else would access ends of installed boards under roofing, even from topside. Not even room for mallet and wood chisel. To me, what they are most like is Biax mechanized machine scrapers.
    I'm not convinced that they couldn't be used as a machine scraper with a proper blade and honed to the correct angle the only thing is they are a little awkward to hold for long periods of time but I use mine so much that I buy wood and metal cut blades 50 at a time.
    I'd just like to find better quality blades than Dremel at an affordable price
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    But NOISY!! Makes an angle grinder seem quiet.....

Depends very much on who makes the tool, I have a DeWalt one and it isn't noisy at all on lower rpm's and even at max rpm it is nowhere near as loud as an angle-grinder(definitively hearing safe)...

Thanks
    To add 2 more cents the dewalt is one of the better multi tools that I have used. The trigger is also the speed selector. All most bought one but am sick of too many battery systems. Milwaukee tends to disappoint me the least so I'm sticking with the red. Do like the dewalt multi tool though. I have a diamond feather file on order from Japan through e bay. Will update sharpening when it comes.
    Eric

6. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Hi everyone first post. Big time lurker. There is wealth of knowledge here. On the multi tool blade I was wondering why you could not tig weld pieces of hacksaw blade to it. I just haven't gotten around to trying it. Also I'm just learning how to tig. They weld razor blades together without to much distortion. Just a thought. Thanks again Chris

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Olderdan, I think you are right about the multi tool being a spin off of the medical industry. Back in the 60's I remember seeing a film of a doctor doing surgery and removing large bunion from someones foot. It was the first time I had ever seen an oscillating saw. It cut right through the bone slick as a whistle!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by owen moore View Post
    Olderdan, I think you are right about the multi tool being a spin off of the medical industry. Back in the 60's I remember seeing a film of a doctor doing surgery and removing large bunion from someones foot. It was the first time I had ever seen an oscillating saw. It cut right through the bone slick as a whistle!
    I was not aware that they are used for actual surgery but I suppose it makes sense. My only experience was removal of plaster casts.
    They work well on solid matter but do not cut soft things easily like flesh etc due to the small movement of the blade.
    Last edited by olderdan; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprig1 View Post
    Hi everyone first post. Big time lurker. There is wealth of knowledge here. On the multi tool blade I was wondering why you could not tig weld pieces of hacksaw blade to it. I just haven't gotten around to trying it. Also I'm just learning how to tig. They weld razor blades together without to much distortion. Just a thought. Thanks again Chris
    I am not sure that idea would work too well as hacksaw blades are made to cut in one direction only whereas multi tool blades work in both. Give it a try and let us know.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Useful tools, like the polishing adaption, I usually wet grind the worn out saw teeth off and profile the shape to suit my fine slicing knife needs for trimming rubber soles and the like. I hate throwing away good boots/shoes that the commercial outfits either won't attempt or charge almost new boot prices.

Thread Information