Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using steel rule and 90-degree tangent for centre height tool setting Quick and easy

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Using steel rule and 90-degree tangent for centre height tool setting Quick and easy

Hi All
    I have seen a lot of lathe centre height setting gauges. (which I might add are nicely made) I usually set my tools against the revolving centre or dead centre from the tailstock. If I need to set a tool half way in to a job which is supported by the tailstock I use the following quick fix. I use a steel rule and simply set this between the work piece and the tool to be set. If the rule leans forward the tool is to high and if the rule leans back to low. So, when the rule is upright the tool is on centre height and therefore, the cutting edge must be at a 90-degree tangent to the centre line/height of the machine. Simply and very quick.

photo showing rule between component and rule

Using steel rule and 90-degree tangent for centre height tool setting Quick and easy-img_0859.jpg

Tool to high

Using steel rule and 90-degree tangent for centre height tool setting Quick and easy-img_0862.jpg

Tool to low

Using steel rule and 90-degree tangent for centre height tool setting Quick and easy-img_0861.jpg

Tool at centre height

Using steel rule and 90-degree tangent for centre height tool setting Quick and easy-img_0863.jpg

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 20, 2018), baja (Jun 15, 2023), Captainleeward (Feb 22, 2018), chainsawd (Jan 21, 2021), greyhoundollie (Oct 17, 2018), Home-PC (Jan 21, 2021), Jon (Feb 21, 2018), lassab999 (Jun 9, 2023), LMMasterMariner (Feb 22, 2018), NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2018), olderdan (Feb 21, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 21, 2018), PJs (Feb 21, 2018), Rikk (Jan 25, 2021), Seedtick (Feb 21, 2018), sossol (Jan 22, 2021), Syko Triker (Feb 22, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), volodar (Jun 20, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Tool Height Setting Method to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    I remember once seeing an old toolmaker doing this on a drill press, I said why are you doing that, he said finding the centre of the bar.
    I said how accurate is that going to be? a couple of thou came the reply, and it was.
    We should not forget these old tricks, thanks for posting.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Feb 21, 2018), PJs (Feb 21, 2018), thehomeengineer (Feb 21, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), volodar (Jun 20, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    I remember once seeing an old toolmaker doing this on a drill press, I said why are you doing that, he said finding the centre of the bar.
    I said how accurate is that going to be? a couple of thou came the reply, and it was.
    We should not forget these old tricks, thanks for posting.
    Roger that! That is the way I was taught way back when. The only thing I do different is use about 3-5 thou feeler gauge I keep in the drawer. I found using a scale the tool bit would get caught in the engraving and throw me off.

Thanks for posting this The Home Engineer.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Feb 22, 2018), NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2018), Paul Jones (Feb 21, 2018), thehomeengineer (Feb 21, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), volodar (Jun 20, 2018)

Thanks

Thumbs up Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi All
    I have seen a lot of lathe centre height setting gauges. (which I might add are nicely made) I usually set my tools against the revolving centre or dead centre from the tailstock. If I need to set a tool half way in to a job which is supported by the tailstock I use the following quick fix. I use a steel rule and simply set this between the work piece and the tool to be set. If the rule leans forward the tool is to high and if the rule leans back to low. So, when the rule is upright the tool is on centre height and therefore, the cutting edge must be at a 90-degree tangent to the centre line/height of the machine. Simply and very quick.

photo showing rule between component and rule

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG 
Views:	1194 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	22297

Tool to high

Name:	IMG_0862.JPG 
Views:	868 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	22298

Tool to low

Name:	IMG_0861.JPG 
Views:	811 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	22299

Tool at centre height

Name:	IMG_0863.JPG 
Views:	829 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	22300

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer
    Congratulations
    Finally, Someone has remembered the simplest and possibly best method of locating a lathe tool on center.
    I have quite enjoyed all the clamor of building "Hight Gages" to do the job when the absolute simplest and best method of locating was using a thin flat piece of metal against the work or something on the lathe that is always on the vertical center.
    An OLD Tool Maker
    Jon

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonny For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 22, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), volodar (Jun 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Congratulations
    Finally, Someone has remembered the simplest and possibly best method of locating a lathe tool on center.
    I have quite enjoyed all the clamor of building "Hight Gages" to do the job when the absolute simplest and best method of locating was using a thin flat piece of metal against the work or something on the lathe that is always on the vertical center.
    An OLD Tool Maker
    Jon
    I might point out that it may be OK for setting tools used on the exterior of the workpiece but it isn't very useful for setting boring bars.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018)

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Marv
    I simply move the tool to the opposite side of the workpiece and set the boring tool in the same way on the outer diameter. If using a boring bar it is highly unlikely that you would be using a centre to support the work piece.
    The Home Engineer
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Feb 22, 2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Add more

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Feb 22, 2018), PJs (Feb 22, 2018), Rikk (Jan 25, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), volodar (Jun 20, 2018)

Thanks

fandres's Tools
    Thanks thehomeengineer neat trick worth remembering.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fandres For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jun 20, 2018)

Thanks
    chuck a piece of ROUND bar in your 3 jaw, out of true a bit? swing the chuck round so that the tool tip touches the run out high spot(felt tip pen applied to bar, if fussy) install rule and carry on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi Marv
    I simply move the tool to the opposite side of the workpiece and set the boring tool in the same way on the outer diameter. If using a boring bar it is highly unlikely that you would be using a centre to support the work piece.
    The Home Engineer
    ditto!!! many guys would not of thunk about that, simple things make the jobs eazyer. I my self bought one of those fancy aluminum red "edge technology" level thingy. it seems like a good idea at the tyme where my lathe is it's a little difacult to see that angle within a degree or 3......that dam fancy anodized pretty little tool( and when I say little I mean little) is so small I cant use it..... no I dont have mondo charlie hands, but if I was a 12 year old girl I might be able to use it. they make about 4 versions of it.some have a rod that go's in the chuck witch would be perfect if you set every tool ahead of time and had lots of holders...I like to set it off the work peice....almost impossiable with this little POS. it's also so narrow it's hard to get square on any thing..... I was expecting it to be about 3x as large as it is and be able tog grab it and go quickly. So for now it's on the wall of shame. And to farther add to the issues....setting the vial square to the tiny POS with the small set screw that moves the vial when snuged down... is pretty reedickyoulass. as I always say" YOU CANT FIX STUPID" and yes I did fall into that category when a spent the $16 or 18 what ever it was for the junk. But!!! It is made in USA. ( for the spellen teachers, my spellen is better than the tool i just dissscribed.)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jun 21, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 17, 2018), volodar (Jun 20, 2018)

Thread Information