Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Utility trailer to flatbed trailer insert

Thanks

Imabass's Tools

Utility trailer to flatbed trailer insert

It’s been a while since my last tool post. I have several in the works and some complete just no time for a write-up. I have a nice engine run stand, tractor mounted hydraulic fence wire roller, and forklift hitch plate I will post when I get time. It’s difficult to find time with a 18 month old baby.

This one is a utility bed trailer to flatbed insert. I use my small 4x6 utility trailer the most of all my trailers because it can be easily towed behind my car/suv. On occasion, I need to haul something that is light weight and too wide or too long for the small trailer. For example my riding mower deck is too wide to fit between the rails on the trailer. I came up with this wood insert. It is constructed of 2x8 treated runners and 5/4 deck boards. It sits above the side rails slightly and now the trailer functions more like a deck over with no wheel wells or side rails. This has also been very useful to use as a mobile workbench. I used it to haul storm door that was too long to fit in the utility trailer. I then used this as my mobile workbench while installing the storm door at the in-laws house.

Here is the utility trailer.
    Utility trailer to flatbed trailer insert-20180603_164602.jpg

Here is the bottom side of the insert. Notice the runners are going long way. This allows me to utalize the space below the deck to hold my ramps. Notice the slot in the backside.
    Utility trailer to flatbed trailer insert-20180603_164545.jpg

Here is the insert on the trailer. Note that the head board is just a 2x12 that is screwed into 1.5" angle. It just drops in place in front of the platform.
    Utility trailer to flatbed trailer insert-20180603_165125.jpgUtility trailer to flatbed trailer insert-20180603_164947.jpg

After making this insert, I decided to cut some forklift slots in the side for dual purpose of a forklift workbench.

Here is the insert on the forklift. Note see my other tools for the tractor mounted forklift.
    Utility trailer to flatbed trailer insert-20180603_165750.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Why buy it if you can build it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Jun 6, 2018), PJs (Jul 10, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 4, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jun 10, 2018), volodar (Oct 12, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Imabass! We've added your Trailer Insert to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: Imabass's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

bimmer1980's Tools
    Nice work. I've often thought about doing this for my 4x8 trailer, but have not yet so far.

I like the dual purpose you have built into the insert.

I know what you mean about that size of trailer being easier to pull. I used to pull mine behind a 3-series BMW... Probably looked ridiculous, but it worked and I didn't care. I now use a 4Runner.

Supporting Member
    Eastern Townships, Quebec, Canada, Earth.
    Thanks
    Hey Imabass, Great job on the trailer deck. Rear slots are great idea for the ramps. I had been tossing that question around lately for my ramps as well. had thought of on the sides over the fenders (double axel job) or sliding them underneath. Your idea could give me some handy side storage compartments for tie downs, chains and small light tarps. I probably won't raise the deck to the very top of the side panels, although I see some handy possibilities.

The side slots you made for your forklift was nifty also, Great work table for sure. With that lift you could set the most convenient height for the job your doing as a bonus. Now I also have another reason for needing a forklift around here. Hehee.

TKS. RR

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn Roy View Post

The side slots you made for your forklift was nifty also, Great work table for sure. With that lift you could set the most convenient height for the job your doing as a bonus. Now I also have another reason for needing a forklift around here. Hehee.

TKS. RR
    The forklift is the most useful tool that I have. I have a walkie style at my shop that must stay on concrete. After using it so much, I had to get one that I could take off road and that is why I have the tractor attachment. I rarely take it off of my tractor.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Why buy it if you can build it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Imabass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 10, 2018)

Thread Information