Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vacuum powered rotary tool.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools

Vacuum powered rotary tool.

I have been thinking about this, but got stucked with the "turbine" design.. Friend made it first.

I think this is a good video, i allready got some ideas how to make it little powerfull.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Can you explain what advantage this implementation has over the conventional electric motor form as found in a Dremel or Foredom tool?

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Its easier to make by yourself. With little better design it could be very usefull. It removes the dust at the same time. Of course it uses lots of energy, that's negative point. Dremel has their own Vrt-1 model wich is also vacuum powered, but its little expensive.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    The Dremel version:

Of course there was some dust kicked up on the internet over the fact that Dremel's product came out after various DIY versions:

I've never used the vacuum-powered version, but I think the consensus may be that it's a clever DIY idea to save money, but that it's silly to buy it new from Dremel.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The Dremel version:

Of course there was some dust kicked up on the internet over the fact that Dremel's product came out after various DIY versions:

I've never used the vacuum-powered version, but I think the consensus may be that it's a clever DIY idea to save money, but that it's silly to buy it new from Dremel.
    I have that dremel version. My opinion is that its too underpowered, and little too big.

I think i could make much powerfull version by myself.. for etching glass, when particles are small.

When it also needs to be able to suck bigger particles too, then it can't be made too "tight" or it gets stuck.

Also, when it sucks hard particles all the time, it can't last very long without replacement parts.

I think thats why dremel vrt1 is somewhat forgot allready.
    They made a mistake when designed it to be used with different materials.

High rpm version for glas etching could be somewhat usefull.
    For other use its hard to find good excuse to use 2000 watt vacuum cleaner to power "motor" that gives you less than 10watts. You need to work with it so long that using actual rotary tool and vacuum cleaner is more energy efficient. Its good diy idea, bad for commercial use. Imo

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I have to agree with everything Tuomas said...

Why power the tool with the vacuum cleaner when you can simply hold a conventional vacuum cleaner next to the bit while using an electrically-powered tool?

Also, there's no need to use the monster shop vac to collect dust from a small Dremel-like tool. I have a monster for the shop floor and the big machines but it's way too powerful for vacuuming the workbench with lots of small tools and bits that would be sucked up. I bought a small hand-held...

https://www.amazon.com/Armor-Gallon-...ll+shop+vacuum

and it's much more portable and has enough suction to handle Dremel-dust and the like. Its portability is its main attraction. Manhandling the monster into the house to vacuum the fireplaces is a real pain; the little one fits under your arm and does the job well. Its smaller, more flexible hose makes it much easier to use inside the car; the monster's hose is like some sort of angry anaconda intent on escape.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information