Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: VB Threading tools

Thanks

VB Threading tools

Hi All,

I am new here and hope I am in the right place to ask the following question.

I bought a box with threading tools.

Most metric, some withworth.

Also 3 tap sets with markings VB 17, VB 19, VB 20, VB 21, VB 24, VB25. Manufactured by LDK. It also says acier fondu (=cast steel)

I have not measured them all yet but these are odd sizes. for instance VB 19 is 26 gauge and is 4,7 mm thick
    VB 24 measues 20 threads to an inch and is 6,7 mm thick. It is hard to tell weather it is 55 or 60 degrees.

I cannot find any reference on the internet to VB threads or the maker, nor threads with these specifications.

Who can tell me what these are?

Thanks
    Ron

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

crazypj's Tools
    Whitworth stuff is pretty rare in itself and probably dates everything to 1940's~60's? (maybe earlier?)
    There were quite a lot of thread changes and standardisations made in mid 1960's
    They may be specific for a car, motorcycle or bicycle manufacturer (VB, possibly gun manufacture?)

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    The strange thing about these tools is, that the diameter is quoted in mm (SI) and the pitch (not quoted) is threads to an inch. I have more tools from this firm. They are metric.

Thanks
    Whitworth will be familiar to anyone who's worked on pre-1970 British motorcycles. Some Triumph fasteners (principally engine internals) remained Whitworth through the end of the Meriden days. I've got a whole set of Whitworth spanners and sockets (both regular and deep) for working on those bikes.

The VB stuff is unfamiliar to me, though there were any number of oddball sizes produced over the years. Some manufacturers made a point of creating unique combinations of size and pitch to force customers to buy parts, tools, and accessories only from them.

You've found some interesting relics. If you figure out what they are, please do share the info here…

Ken

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Don't have any info to contribute on these, but care to take some pictures so we can see?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information