Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vertical Spit

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Vertical Spit

Again not a tool for the garage, but it was made in the garage and it allows me more time in the garage. but it is a tool to help you cook and give wifie an evening off.

Vertical Spit-closed-s.jpg

At first I must say it does not look like much. An old 20L steel paint drum. But if you look closer you will see the side is cut open and with the aid of 3 hinges it can open and close.

Vertical Spit-motor-s.jpg

Next clue is a battery powered rotisery (again a word I spell so badly wrong not even the spell checker can find the correct spelling) motor on the lid and a few extra holes in the lid.

Vertical Spit-open-s.jpg

And that is it. Inside is 3 trays for coals, made by cutting up one extra lid I had and pop riveting it to the side on 3 levels. Here I have 2 deboned chickens cut up into equal sized pieces. that takes about 90 minutes to cook. So 90 minutes longer I can be in the garage as this method of braai-ing does not require any supervision. Place the coals on the shelves, stick the chicken inside, switch the motor on and set your timer for 90 minutes and back into the garage, or open a frosty four you and a nice bottle of red wine and enjoy a beautiful South Africa Autumn evening with wifie.

The few holes in the lid is so you can move the chicken closer to the coals for the last 10 minutes to give it a nice browning.Vertical Spit-finnish-s.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; May 18, 2018 at 09:59 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

DIYer (May 19, 2018), metric_taper (May 19, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 6, 2018), PJs (May 19, 2018), Seedtick (May 19, 2018), volodar (Jun 6, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Verical Spit to our Culinary category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Why even debone the chickens? They'll roast just fine with bone support.

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    I did a few chickens whole initially but,
    1) We get specials where deboned chickens are cheaper than chickens with all their bones, so I wait for these. I do not debone the chicken myself.
    2) It is nice to slice the outer browned meat off and leave the rotisery going and brown the next layer. This does not work very nice if the bones are still in and you slice into a bone.

This is very nice if you have friends over with kids that has to eat an hour or so before the grown ups. The outer layer is done and ready for them and the grown ups can sip on a glass of matured grape juice.

I now even debone a leg of lamb before I do it on the spit.

I debone the leg the night before, then marinate it while it is a nice flat thin piece of meat. Then I roll it around the skewer with streaks of bacon and garlic and onion inside and then secure the whole thing with some string and tooth picks. Once the outer layer is done the tooth picks are enough to keep it together if you want to have a few tasters and wait for the next layer to brown.

Bones or no bones the nice thing is no fat keeps dripping in the fire and keeps making flames and smoke and because it is enclosed you need a very small fire. I have been using this drum for 5 years and the paint is not even burnt off.
    Last edited by garage nut; May 26, 2018 at 11:24 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 6, 2018), volodar (May 27, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for the further explanation garage nut, very interesting. Sounds delicious, and makes my mouth water!

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garage nut View Post
    It is nice to slice the outer browned meat off and leave the rotisery going and brown the next layer.
    This is a similar concept to a Rotisserie cake, but with a subtractive instead of additive strategy.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Do you cook the chicken with the door closed or open?

Also how do you marinate the chicken?

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Door is always closed to keep the heat in.

For the chicken I buy a honey and lemon marinade that is sold commercially. Pour it into a zip lock bag the day before the time and add the chicken. Keep it in the refrigerator and turn it when I need to open the fridge for some reason.

For the meat I use a cream and soya sauce. Again marinate for a day. This marinade has to be discarded and can not be used as basting.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information