Free 50 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Remove advertisements
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, not a criticism just like Chinese made priced right machines.

Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    I have been having a ball with the HF 9x20 lathe. Have added a couple items to make it "mine". I added a wheel shaped handle to the end of the lead screw that really helps when I want to move the cross slide real slow. I added a 12" diameter wheel to the spindle end that clamps in like a bicycle handlebar holder. It helps to turn the spindle slowly like for tapping and such. The only problem I have had was the brass bushing in the gear train wore out and I had to get a new one made. Cost about $15-20 as I recall. I wish it had slower gears, reversing lead screw, and a couple other hi end features. But, it is all manual, therefore I have had to learn how to do it (Thank you, Mr. Pete). I don't know if I would have had the money for an American made lathe. Also the 9x20 is a good size..fitting my shop quite nicely.
    GaryR

Thanks
    Hi Gary R Have you considered a dc motor mod?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Obviously, as you say, I wouldn't have the shop I have if I had to purchase everything at the Western made price...
    I wouldn't have any sort of machinery either if all I had to buy was western made stuff. Last 'good' lathe I had was a Colchester which I sold when I moved to Florida
    Capt'n, why they handle mods?
    I have one of those tables but haven't used it in years (not because of any problems, just because you can't use a pillar drill as a milling machine )

Post your reply!
    Join 33,912 of us and get our 50 Must Read Homemade Tools eBook free.

50 Must Read Homemade Tools

Thread Information