Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vintage cigarette "How to do it" cards - photo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,835 Times in 11,335 Posts

Vintage cigarette "How to do it" cards - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jan 16, 2019), high-side (Jan 16, 2019), neilbourjaily (Jan 16, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 15, 2019), PJs (Jan 16, 2019), ranald (Jan 19, 2019), Scotty1 (Jan 19, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 15, 2019), Steved53 (Jan 16, 2019), TSiArt (Jan 22, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Some of those cards are literally worth millions of dollars today

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 16, 2019)

Thanks
    I loved the cards! I have to check YouTube to see if the methods for cleaning an oil painting, stopping shoes from squeaking and stopping a run away horse are still valid.

I now konw how people survived before the internet.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    5 Stars Jon! All of those are great and particularly liked the watch compass. Interesting about the tree stump killing is using solignum which is a wood preservative...must be how the salt reacts with the MEK or Xylene.

The coin measurements reminded me of some my Dad taught me. Matchbook cover ~30 thou. (for setting dwell or plug gaps [loose fit] in a pinch ) Dime ~50 thou., Penny ~.75 Ø. One more from Dad, using BB's and a bit of gasoline to clean the rust out of gas tanks shake well, rinse, repeat. Used it several times on bike tanks and once on a gas tank from a wrecking yard.

Just wonderful tips all around! Thanks.
    Last edited by PJs; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

TSiArt (Jan 22, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by EnginePaul View Post
    I loved the cards! I have to check YouTube to see if the methods for cleaning an oil painting, stopping shoes from squeaking and stopping a run away horse are still valid.

I now konw how people survived before the internet.
    Yep by smoking! Strange, my dad was a chain smoker (lite the next with current one). He saw a black & white film (mid sixties)on cut up lungs & gave up after 40 years of smoking.

Also, with potatoes, which are mostly mildly acidic, I'd be wary of such repair/cleaning attempts on any valuable art works. They were and are still used in some circumstances. Some are on nonferros metals & many other materials. Some are acid free. some have had gesso applied & different formulas exist for it. Most artists use a commercial one today and apply to the acid free canvas to seal it before painting. Various types of paint and applications ( & protective finishes) are/were used. Some of the older paints will chip/peel at the slightest touch. Best left to a professional.

cheers
    Last edited by ranald; Jan 19, 2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add extra on potatoes

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    5 Stars Jon! All of those are great and particularly liked the watch compass. Interesting about the tree stump killing is using solignum which is a wood preservative...must be how the salt reacts with the MEK or Xylene.

The coin measurements reminded me of some my Dad taught me. Matchbook cover ~30 thou. (for setting dwell or plug gaps [loose fit] in a pinch ) Dime ~50 thou., Penny ~.75 Ø. One more from Dad, using BB's and a bit of gasoline to clean the rust out of gas tanks shake well, rinse, repeat. Used it several times on bike tanks and once on a gas tank from a wrecking yard.

Just wonderful tips all around! Thanks.
    You can get the same result in preventing trees from copicing & for killing other greenery by mixing salt & vinegar(white is best).

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Runaway horses. Well about 15 years ago when doing some horticutural work on a farm, I distracted bulls while a chap took soil samples. Then, I had about 20 Droughtmaster bulls charge at me following a leader.

unsure just what to do I noticed a clump of closely knit trees nearby and cautiously stepped into the clump while wildly waving my broad rimmed straw hat. They eventually settled down & I hadthe soil hygrometerist escape & distract the beasts from outside the fence. LOL, now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Some of those cards are literally worth millions of dollars today
    These are advertised at £275 per set here:
    Cigarette Cards and Trade Cards collectors site - Valueing your Gallaher Collection.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gms002a For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 21, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I n the late 1880s, cigarette manufacturers began inserting stiffening cards into their paper packs of cigarettes to strengthen the containers. It wasn't long before they got the idea to put artwork, trivia, famous people, and pretty girls onto those cards, grouped into collectible series. The cards, which continued into the 1940s, are highly valuable now, with the most expensive (bearing the face of stringent anti-smoking baseball player Honus Wagner) selling for $2.8 million in 2007.

In the 1910s, Gallaher Ltd of Belfast & London and Ogden's Branch of the Imperial Tobacco Co printed "How-To" series, with clever hints for both everyday and emergency situations. From steaming out a splinter to stopping a mad dog, these cigarette cards told you the smart way to handle many of life's problems.

(Please note these cards were published a hundred years ago, when safety was not as popular a pursuit as it is now. For that reason, we can't recommend trying any of these, as brilliant as they may be.)
    https://theweek.com/articles/462470/...-100-years-ago

This may not have a Gallaher card

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 21, 2019)

Thread Information