Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 30 of 294 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 80 130 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I have only just last night completed scanning my late mother's life journal into my computer, She started to write her journal in 1997 hoping that someday her grand children might have a chance to read it her last entry was sometime in 2005 after abruptly ending mid sentence. she passed away I think in 2007 I say I think because I was in Kuwait.
    The only relevants' of what I am saying has to do with this thread is the fact that even in her octogenarian years with failing eyesight and crippled hands her hand writing was some of the most eloquently formed of any that I have ever read. I wish I could say the same for my writing and for sure wish many of the younger engineer/ drafts persons had half the command of their drawing abilities and she did of her hand writing.
    I have started copying her journal to type I stated in my prolog insert that I will copy her writings word for word punctuation spelling sentence and paragraph formulation exactly as she wrote in her journal. I am currently on page 12 of a 200 page journal and my word program has not issued a single red line query.
    I am though adding balloon notations which will be explained in the epilogue of any omissions she may have left out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Nov 28, 2018), PJs (Nov 29, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    We think of these construction workers and riggers as being good at what they do, but what about the fabricator that drilled all of those rivet holes and got them all to line up so well. Tens of thousands of matching rivet holes, probably marked out by hand and individually drilled.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have only just last night completed scanning my late mother's life journal into my computer, She started to write her journal in 1997 hoping that someday her grand children might have a chance to read it her last entry was sometime in 2005 after abruptly ending mid sentence. she passed away I think in 2007 I say I think because I was in Kuwait.
    The only relevants' of what I am saying has to do with this thread is the fact that even in her octogenarian years with failing eyesight and crippled hands her hand writing was some of the most eloquently formed of any that I have ever read. I wish I could say the same for my writing and for sure wish many of the younger engineer/ drafts persons had half the command of their drawing abilities and she did of her hand writing.
    I have started copying her journal to type I stated in my prolog insert that I will copy her writings word for word punctuation spelling sentence and paragraph formulation exactly as she wrote in her journal. I am currently on page 12 of a 200 page journal and my word program has not issued a single red line query.
    I am though adding balloon notations which will be explained in the epilogue of any omissions she may have left out.
    Why don't you just scan them Frank, then the handwriting is preserved forever.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Moby Duck, I have them scanned. Now while my generation was brought up learning to read and write not just print. My Daughter's generation still partially so. At least both of my daughters can write. However in terms of the next generation of kids almost all of the millennials under the age of 25 or 30 are not even taught cursive in many of the schools any more. My youngest Daughter has been teaching 3rd grade for 18 years she told me that the curriculum for teaching cursive beyond just the student's signature has been do drastically reduced most students coming into her class have never even seen it. plus they can barely even print legibly.
    I am typing my mother's journal to be included with the scanned pages then I will burn them to a mini DVD or thumb drive or SD or what ever the preferred storage media happens to be. At the same time I will print up Hard copy books for my two sisters, my kids and their kids if they want hard copy books for their grand children or great grand children I will print and bind them.I can just as easily print and bind 50 books as I can 4 or 5.
    But if anyone wants a copy of my life journal they are going to have to dig it out of my archives after I'm gone.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Wow! You are a lucky man....My mum saved a lot of my childhood stuff, which we found 'disassembling' her home of 40 years! And she passed on the packrat gene to me...seriously, she'll never be far away with that to share..my dad, with a big ego, started a book about the family and the lumber business. He had a big stroke at 49, but one hand typed on 3x5 index cards, both sides, 120 of them. Some absolute gems of stories. The best was as a Captain in the Red Ball Express in Belgium, he had big quantities of 'stuff' going through the warehouse. They had an oversupply of Remington typewriters....so dad arranged a 1 carat solitaire diamond for Mum's engagement ring in exchange for a wack of typewriters to a South African fellow...and I'm sure he took 'orders' for other goods in exchanges as well, a real wheeler dealer he was...Enjoy mum's musings. Cheers
    Jim

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 28, 2018), PJs (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks
    When I enlarged that car repair shop photo, I just barely discern the heads on those nails/spikes. Probably 8 - 10 inch common nails.

I absolutely love these ultra fine grain photo's. They remind me of B&W photography that I did in RVN, 69/70. I shot Tri-X exclusively, @ 400 ASA except for Night photography then I would "push" the ASA speed to 1200 ASA and still do hand held shots: our helicopter Maintainance crews would just leave their truck lights on a bird, and when needed, a Flashlight.

Our TI's Only used Flaslights, and "Tunnel Vision" ...

I recall one Late night TI have a SEVERE CASE of "What the Hell's" when he found a Large wrench in a Closed Tail of an H-Model Huey. TAILS were Always Left open if you were "STILL" Working on the Aircraft, And WHAT ~OTHER~ Reason would a Tool be in a Tail Boom ? ? ? ?

philip,
    AKA Trouble-Shooter 1 5: I Never Carried a FlashLight, I was to CLOSE to the Berm Line and the little people loved a lit up target.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to philipUsesWood&Brass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I know where that set of 4 open skirt pistons would fetch a $1000.00 apiece right now tonight. I could also unload those Waukesha and Buda or the set of Packard within a couple of hours. But for me personally I'd take that leg vice and those transmissions lying on the lower right side. Did anyone notice the pair of 24" head or block shaving files hanging on the rt hand wall?
    Even that battery in the Lower Right corner makes me drool! But I was BORN with electricity in my Soul: my Dad work on the Beldon Dam, Feather River California when I was just 18 months old. Was around Electrical things all my life. I even spent a year "unplugged" from ~Store bought Power~ the cost to bring in AC was more than I paid for my twenty acres. My Chevy had a Dual Battery charger, and we Rotated Three 12VDC Batteries to light our log cabin & listen to the (Old Truck Radio) at Night!

philip

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to philipUsesWood&Brass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    LOOK at that ladder!!! 2X4 construction, With a scab Plate at hand hight of the man on the far left!!!!

OSHA would of closed that Whole Construction site down over stuff like that. (Thank God they did not exist for the Most Part of Building our Country).

philip

14. The Following User Says Thank You to philipUsesWood&Brass For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 29, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Intentional, and I mean to post drawing referenced.
    Attachment 26646
    The goofy text is a different impasse of ready understanding. But, a yummy lol: I had intermittent space-bar problem too. Air duster repair job, versus nice pizza crust and crushed peppers.
    I teg your tniop TM51 about my esobrev weps and ytilibigel. I would have given his drawing back and said to the guy; "Did you do this? Really?...Do You know how much this will cost? Is this going to the Moon? Fix it!" First off he could have referenced the datum and first feature, then dimensioned the feature with X times .9850 as well as the gaps with X times .2159 and saved you a Swad of work. If the features weren't equal there still other more simplistic ways to dimension. Near as I can tell he was just being lazy, dimensioning. Decimal Points = $$$...Hello! You can draw to 4 decimals but dimension to 2 or 3 with tolerances in the tolerance block...eciffo ym fo tou enog evah reven dlouw taht gniward A

JP
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Good Story Frank. I did similar with Mom's great recipes (Beautiful handwriting also) and published a small book of Dad's great stories (50yr toastmaster) and saying's for the family after I went through all of his stuff, computer and otherwise. Also did his memorial video of his 80 years of Living Life!

These great pictures that Jon finds and post and our own family photos and treasures have some high word counts worth archiving...when we look at the details and faces, clothing, settings and backgrounds, etc., stories abound, and I for one am grateful at my age to have a few and appreciate those of others...hopefully to pass forward something from our time here for others to gain insight.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 29, 2018)

Thread Information