Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 52 of 294 FirstFirst ... 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage work crew photos

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    LOL on the heavy press cap!

Got to thinking, as I've seen custom wall paper from pics. Just a quick search and this popped up. https://www.megaprint.com/wallpaper.php

Here is a link to the pricing...don't know the size of your wall. https://www.megaprint.com/prices-sizes-prints.php

This is for a 8' x 12' smooth wallpaper. Not bad $$ for an all out man cave, but I would have to chat with them about resolution.

Vintage work crew photos-custom-wall-paper-price.jpg

Another possibility would be a Halftone printing of some type where the resolution isn't as high. Old school but still around.

PJ

P.S. let me know about the PM I sent, and I'd be happy to prep the artwork for you.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not sure where I got the idea. I think I saw it first at a museum or airport. Like on a big wall at a passenger terminal, or behind a museum display or something. And you know how there are lifesize sepia or black-and-white photographs with people in them, maybe a timeline or historical data or explanation superimposed on it. I'm sure we've all seen this concept. Those big honkin' Mesta photographs are just dying to be reborn like that.

If that isn't really doable, I will settle for a photograph-topped cappuccino made with a pic of a Heavy Press.
    Hey Jon, your cuppa could be of a top dog with saw in hand & when you reach the dregs the under-dog would appear.

Did you locate my lost post or should I simply redo it? (not that you have nothing to do-ha ha). I'm a one fingered typist & often posts pop up that weren't there when I started typing!LOL.

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    That does look interesting, and the price is not unreasonable, but I can't do even close to that sq ft price. I do see some of those fancy "spray a photograph on a wall" machines around; I might just need to wait a few years until that stuff reaches the DIY world.

ranald - yes, redo please.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

ranald (Feb 12, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That does look interesting, and the price is not unreasonable, but I can't do even close to that sq ft price. I do see some of those fancy "spray a photograph on a wall" machines around; I might just need to wait a few years until that stuff reaches the DIY world.

ranald - yes, redo please.
    Was thinking someone here might want the DIY challenge of a 2 axis with a 11x17 printer head...might take awhile but doable. Looks like something you might see on instructables.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Looking at the pictures on that site, they're using a large format HP inkjet very similar the one we have (a Z6200); it's max color resolution is 2400 x 1200 "optimized dpi"; it makes pretty good looking images from standard files. (300ppi or lower.) The printer driver does a lot of pretty smart interpolation to achieve that "optimized dpi" bit.

Their FAQ gives you an idea of what they expect to be working with.

Some day I'm going to get around to printing out a few of my photos on it, then I'll be able to definitively tell.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 13, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Crib trestle on the Columbia and Nehalem Valley Railroad. The Columbia and Nehalem Valley Railroad was a logging railroad for the Peninsular Lumber Company of Portland in the area around Columbia City, Oregon.
    Fullsize image: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...w_fullsize.jpg

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 15, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (Feb 14, 2019), PJs (Feb 17, 2019), ranald (Feb 14, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 14, 2019), tenlug (Feb 15, 2019), volodar (Feb 19, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    An interlocked cribbing trestle. Now that is 1 super strong structure, but it could have been made much stronger and more stable had they taken the time to notch a few of the courses of the logs . A few lateral diagonal stay logs would have insured the structure cold not shift sideways.
    Last edited by Frank S; Feb 13, 2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (Feb 14, 2019), PJs (Feb 17, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    What looks like timber and pipe isn't. Longitudinal members are timber also. I've never seen or heard of cribbing in structural sense, just as individual blocking. I wonder at diagonals too; but friction and a mess of parallel members [probably lagged] could work.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    What looks like timber and pipe isn't. Longitudinal members are timber also. I've never seen or heard of cribbing in structural sense, just as individual blocking. I wonder at diagonals too; but friction and a mess of parallel members [probably lagged] could work.
    Actually when you look at the interlocking way that log cabins are constructed the walls are nothing more than a stacked cribing structure to hold up the roof .
    While many midwestern and western log cabins were made exclusively with full round logs with rounded out notches to hold them together. A popular method in the eastern forests was to split and plane much larger diameter trees to a thickness of 4 to 8 inches by what ever the diameter was then cut tapered mortise style tabs and notches some cabins were made with trees as much as 24 inches in diameter the taper of the trees were compensated for by alternating them end for end to maintain a reasonably level stacking course, the top plates would be hand planned to level. and locked in place with wooden tenons. the stacked courses could have as much as 5 or 6 inches gap between them.
    If we look closely at the trestle we can see the top course and the sleepers are pinned with diagonal rods
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (Feb 14, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 14, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    There are random diagonal pins through out the structure Rows 3, 6 and 12 are not just the top row.

Ralph

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 17, 2019)

Thread Information