Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Virtually Non stick cast iron cookware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cemransh View Post
    What about ceramic cookware? I mean what is the difference between cast-iron cookware and ceramic cookware?
    There are cast iron cookware that is ceramic coated, like the Le Creuset brand. We have a set of Le Creuset pots that are at least 50 years old, and nothing sticks to them. The price difference between a standard cast iron pan and the ceramic coated cast iron is like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blkadder For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Oct 10, 2020)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Is there a good argument for enamel coating (essentially powdered glass) cast iron besides ease of cleaning? Does it have some properties that are beneficial for certain types of cooking? I've heard the "certain types of delicate sauces" argument in favor of enameled pans, but I don't know what those sauces are. I do see there is a legitimate but rarely applicable issue of iron leaching.

Per Frank S's method (which we've adopted successfully for our own cast iron pans), isn't the cleaning argument eliminated? I've found that cleaning enameled cast iron pans is difficult (both the fancy Le Creuset and the generic knock-offs), and even a thorough cleaning per manufacturer instructions never really returns the pan to a new appearance. Can I sand enamel coated pans to clean them? Can I wire wheel them and then just re-coat them?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Jon there is an unfortunate truth to simmering certain sauces in cast iron like stewing tomatoes however I often make my pasta sauce in my cast iron skillets they have been used for so long that clean up has never been a problem I can usually just wipe out the remains with a paper towel then return to the stove and pour in a small amount of water once it turns to a steaming boil a quick wipe with a towel will remove any remaining residue then I will pour in a tbs of oil heat it then wipe it around then the skillet is ready for the next meal.
    this is what 1 of my skillets looks like after 5 years of use
    Virtually Non stick cast iron cookware-20180609_131248.jpgdd.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Leaching is one of the subjects about cookware that was more or less thought up by a stainless steel water-less cookware salesman.
    when 1 comes to your house the first thing he wants to do is try and scare the person who does most of the cooking in the family about all of the dangers of ingesting particles form their pots and pans.Usually they are referring to aluminum but even their analogies in that regards are flawed
    What Everyone Needs to Know About Aluminum Cookware -

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 9, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Saw a good post on this on a blog Annals of commerce: product downgrades ...one reason those old skillet work so much better than the new ones is that companies like Lodge are cheaping out on production. Yustabe they did that 'grind the pan 'till it's smooth' step before they put on the factory 'seasoning' now you just get the rough cast surface.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 14, 2018)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I'm on wife #3 after a divorce from the first and the second passing away. None of them were/are accomplished cooks. I do all the cooking. I have a pretty well seasoned skillet and another that is rough that I never use. I will give it your treatment and it may end up being my preferred one. Thank you for the information.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    I'm on wife #3 after a divorce from the first and the second passing away. None of them were/are accomplished cooks. I do all the cooking. I have a pretty well seasoned skillet and another that is rough that I never use. I will give it your treatment and it may end up being my preferred one. Thank you for the information.
    When you can almost wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel after frying hamburgers in it, then you will appreciate polishing before seasoning

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Things like skillet scalloped potatoes with onions garlic sliced kielbasa sausage grated sharp cheddar and mozzarella is the hardest thing I've found to cook in any skillet but if during the cooking process you keep the potatoes from sticking while they cook then once you are finished if you will run a little hot water in it you can usually clean it using a paper towel as a dish rag. My cast iron skillets and pots are cleaned and put away almost the moment they come off the stove and are emptied.
    And NEVER NEVER EVER ever ever use detergent to clean them with. Did I mention never use detergent on them? If you happen to leave food in them or it gets baked on from being in the oven then fill them with hot water place on a burner and boil use a stainless steel spatula to loosen the food then rinse and repeat if necessary I've never had that problem.
    Recently I bought a new 4 qt round pot so I filled it with water and set it outside to allow the water to evaporate and cause the pot to rust I want it to age for a few months with surface rust in it before I clean it up polish and season it

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information