Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A Vise Jaw Extender

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

A Vise Jaw Extender

It is standard practice to place a scrap of wood under the stock being drilled to protect the drill press vise. Yet, how often is the first bit of wood a little too wide. The movable jaws can't close. Then its a hunt for the second piece of wood that is a tad narrower. To avoid this minor annoyance, I built this vise jaw extender.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/ViseJawExtender.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jan 1, 2021), Karl_H (Jan 2, 2021), LMMasterMariner (Jan 16, 2019), metric_taper (Jan 1, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 2, 2019), Paul Jones (Jan 1, 2019), PJs (Jan 2, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 1, 2019), Sleykin (Jan 1, 2021), techcollect (Jan 3, 2021), tonyfoale (Jan 2, 2019), Tonyg (Jan 1, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 2, 2019)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Every used vise I've seen looks like swiss cheese. Nice solution to not making a trip to the wood shop to cut a custom dunnage piece.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Another approach is to cut a piece of wood into strips of width 1, 2, 4 units, where "unit" depends on vise capacity, e.g., 1/2" for small vises, 3/4" for larger. Then you can assemble any integer unit width protectors up to 7 units. For very small units, perhaps cut an 8 unit wide strip as well.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Every used vise I've seen looks like swiss cheese. Nice solution to not making a trip to the wood shop to cut a custom dunnage piece.
    Swiss-cheesed vises, yup seen LOADS of them. Occasionally, tables of corresponding machines carry same manner of decoration.
    I'll bet most holes are by inept users, a tiny percentage [legitimate?] accidents.
    Either way one thing is common; aren't drilled-in by who paid for the vise...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Another approach is to cut a piece of wood into strips of width 1, 2, 4 units, where "unit" depends on vise capacity, e.g., 1/2" for small vises, 3/4" for larger. Then you can assemble any integer unit width protectors up to 7 units. For very small units, perhaps cut an 8 unit wide strip as well.
    Marv,

The minimum width of the wood strip depends on the width of the stock being drilled. Consider drilling a hole in the edge of a plate 1/8 inch thick. I would need a piece of wood less than 1/8 inch thick in order to permit the vise jaws to close.

Rick
    Last edited by rgsparber; Jan 2, 2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I often use pieces of wood on top of the table, as much for quick spacing as anything else, although essential when using a holesaw, but I rarely do that when holding work in a vice. Most times I align the hole position with the slot down the centre of most vices. Sometimes that is not possible with multiple holes or the shape of the workpiece and only then do I use some wood. That's when Rick's solution would work for me, usually I find that I have to bandsaw a piece specific to each job.

I can honestly say that i have never drilled an unwanted hole in a vice or drill table but much to my continued annoyance I did cut a groove in my mill table when a cutter pulled down. That must fit the "legitimate accident" category mentioned by toolmaker51 but it still hurts each time that I see it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I often use pieces of wood on top of the table,.... can honestly say that i have never drilled an unwanted hole in a vice or drill table but much to my continued annoyance I did cut a groove in my mill table when a cutter pulled down. That must fit the "legitimate accident" category mentioned by toolmaker51 but it still hurts each time that I see it.
    Yes just one of the sorts of incident; when a job requires certain details and limited ways to produce it.
    Cutter pull-out often occurs slowly, therefore undetected. When drilling/ milling repeatedly or extended depths, I'll spin the cutter and felt-tip mark juncture of tool and holder. That band will have a narrow unmarked margin above it. If pulling out starts, it will be apparent during the cut or exchanging parts. Also reveals a cutter being pushed in farther too.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Vise Jaw Extender to our Drilling and Drill Presses category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information