Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Vise stand for Colombian post vise

Thanks

Geffre's Tools

Vise stand for Colombian post vise

I wanted to put a vise on a movable base, but I also wanted to make the stand heavy enough to stay put when I cranked on some work.

I started with a solid steel axle I received from a friend. I cut it smooth and mounted it in a brake disk so that the bottom of the axle would touch the floor. I intend to use the axle as a part time anvil if needed while working on hot metal at the vise.

Then I mounted that whole axle brake disk onto a tractor counter weight i got from my dad. Rather than welding the weight to the shaft, I bolted it through a couple of the holes in the disk. That way I can remove it if I want to change the configuration.

I bolted the vise to the shaft with a u-bolt and a bracket of materials I found around the garage.

I welded an extra rod to the disk but not to the vise. I want to leave the vise a more free to be adjusted if I want it higher or lower. I do not know fore sure just how I will use the vise in all circumstances, so I want to be able to raise or lower it as needed.
    Vise stand for Colombian post vise-img_6709.jpgVise stand for Colombian post vise-img_6710.jpgVise stand for Colombian post vise-vise.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Geffre! We've added your Post Vise Stand to our Vises category,
    as well as to your builder page: Geffre's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information