Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: We need pocket knife kits

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    Interesting. Furthering the "switch" wording:

Switch Army Knife

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    How about "Switch-blade"?
    The problem with a name like switch blade would be the stigma associated with of the button activated knife in which the blade was extended by pressing a button or lever on the handle allowing a compressed spring to propel the blade out of its sleeve then locking in place.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'm biased of course, but I think Switch Army Knife is excellent. Interesting how I thought about this for a while, but I needed mklotz's "switch" idea as a creative spark. Quick trademark, patent, and Google searches for the phrase "Switch Army Knife" aren't turning up anything of consequence.

Another option is to work off of "pocket knife", perhaps using something that rhymes with "pock", and then adding "-it". Like "Lock-It Knife", because various accessories "lock" into place in the base unit.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm biased of course, but I think Switch Army Knife is excellent. Interesting how I thought about this for a while, but I needed mklotz's "switch" idea as a creative spark. Quick trademark, patent, and Google searches for the phrase "Switch Army Knife" aren't turning up anything of consequence.

Another option is to work off of "pocket knife", perhaps using something that rhymes with "pock", and then adding "-it". Like "Lock-It Knife", because various accessories "lock" into place in the base unit.
    Pick-it Knife as in Pick the blades you want/need, perhaps?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Your way knife or my way knife
    Hey dude what kind of knife is that? It's a "MyWay" I can customized it in a 100 different configurations with a simple change out of the tools and blades of my choice it even has an led torch in the handle to light up those dark areas
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 15, 2017 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Some more random thoughts on the subject...

In addition to the 1/4" hex receiver for various screwdriving bits, another useful tool would be something along the lines of the chuck used on X-acto knives, This would allow the user to insert whatever shape blade fitted his application. Spare blades could be carried in a slot in the knife scales. [Scales should come in a variety of configurations to accent certain blade choices.] Obviously, a similar holder to accept box-cutter blades would be useful too. A fold-out scalpel (in the field castrations?) is possible but I doubt there would be much call for it. A socket to take standardized jigsaw blades, e.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-T14CPSC...blades+t+shank

would be extremely useful.

[Neither the X-acto chuck or the device that holds box-cutter blades seems to be patented. I have a variety of both from different manufacturers.]

Locking systems for the variety of interchangeable blades needs a bit of thought. Eliminating the springs used in a conventional pocket knife would be a good simplification if a simplistic lock can be designed.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Having the ability to lock various tools at the 90° position and being able to split body butterfly style to form a "T" handle for some applications might be nice as well
    That might really help with Marv's favorite tool the cork screw.
    OK that was rude but I couldn't resist the dig
    Actually the cork screw is handy if sharpened properly to a long slender sharp point. for removing packing and hydraulic seals it is just too short in most cases.
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 15, 2017 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Elizabeth, Queen of England, is almost never seen in public without her handbag. Folks have often speculated over what she carries in that bag. After all, she doesn't need a driver's license, passport, or even money (well she does carry a £5 note for the church collection plate).

A documentary I watched last night revealed that among expected things such as compact, lipstick, fountain pen and reading glasses, she carries dog treats for her beloved Corgis and an S-shaped hook which she uses to suspend the purse from a table so she doesn't need to bend over to pick it up.

But the most amazing revelation was that, harking back to her days as a Girl Guide, she carries a combination pocket knife! (The picture showed something that looked similar to the Victorinox Tinker model.) Sadly, the show did not elaborate on what the Queen intends to do with this knife or has done with it in the past.

I was immediately struck with the thought that this fine lady would probably appreciate a knife she could customize to the particular demands of her singular job. Things like a small sable brush for crown dusting or a miniature scepter for opening impromptu meetings of Parliament.

Another interesting thing learned from the documentary was the fact that she uses the purse as a signaling tool for her staff. If the Queen places her handbag on the table at dinner, it signals that she wants the event to end in the next five minutes. If she puts her bag on the floor, it shows she’s not enjoying the conversation and wants to be rescued by her lady-in-waiting. On walkabouts, Her Majesty may choose to "drop the bag to one side in a certain manner, telling her staff it's time for her to move on". A lady-in-waiting will then join the conversation, allowing the monarch to slip away without causing offence.
    Last edited by mklotz; Oct 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Not a pocket knife, but a relevant Kickstarter. Behold "The bitTender" - a pocket-sized bit driver. $2,960 pledged of $8,705 goal, with 19 days to go. I just invited the inventor to post about it here. GIF and photo below.

More: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...zed-bit-driver

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Well thought out. The user can choose which bits he wants to carry in the device. Incorporating the cross hex hole so the other bits can be used as a T-handle is clever. I'd buy one.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information