Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What change gears?

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    Hi,
    seems that although the software says you can custom install the program where you want, it it fails. However if you leave it to DEFAULT install it will install where it says it will you can then move it to where you want it . yet to check it thro but so far ..........................

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    S & F
    Y-Geo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I just extracted it to a folder then let it install and create a desktop Icon.
    Seams to work on win 7-

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    On Win 10 it never did close out InstallAware Wizard dialog, no program to be anywhere.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hello all,
    I am sorry that some are having problems. I have been using this program for several years now and find it invaluable as I repair old machinery for a hobby and come across threads that most don't know exist. I posted in the spirit of this site as I believe that the program will be of use to many.
    To Murph1090, have a look at what steamingbill has written and also my reply to Y-Geo. I have no idea what a Harbor Freight #44859 is and when you say "no backgear" ??? If you do not have a gear train to the leadscrew why have you got extra gears?
    azbrewer something that had me wondering what I was doing wrong for many hours when I moved up from XP was that now there is a default with downloaded programs that means you have right click on the program, properties and at the bottom click on 'unblock' and then 'apply'. This applies to just about every program and NO PROGRAM will install until this is done.
    I hope that the aboves answears,( mine and steamingbill's), will help resolve any issues.
    Best regards,
    Barry.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by steamingbill View Post
    Hello Murph,

I have found it to be an incredibly useful program over the last couple of years.

Work your way through the tabs starting at tab 1.

If your lathe is not listed then use generic lathe on tab 1.

Discussion here might be helpful for you Metal Work Forums

Bill
    As I keep telling my mum:Read the instructions!

Thanks

Murph1090's Tools
    Barry, there is a gear train from the lead screw to the drive, the backgear is to reduce the drive speed only for threading and the like. One is independent of the other completely.

harbor Freight lists its lathes by SKU number, #44859 is the designation, and if you go to their website, you can see the manual that goes with it.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/ma...4999/44859.pdf

The gear train is rather different from what's shown in the program, and I have both here, the program in my laptop AND the app on my smartphone, not like I haven't spent enough time reading the instructions.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hello Murph1090,
    This program is designed for lathes with a gearbox so will not be of use for you, sorry about that I am sure your time could have been invested better elsewhere. I have seen a lot of other programs for your type of lathe though. I'll see if I can find some for you. At the moment from the deep recesses of a dodgy memory I think I saw something for a Myford on Harold Halls site and maybe Gadget Builder. It is a P.I.T.A. using a calculator and if you're like me write things on scraps of paper then lose them.

Thanks
    Finally got the program to load. Well I did cheat a bit, I installed on a Win 7 system and copied the whole directory over to Win 10.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Murph1090,
    I had a look at your lathe and they get a pretty good review from those that have them. They have been converted to CNC among other things and from the little I saw are supposed to have a lot in common with the 7x12,7x14... but better and those that know say they are a 8x14 as Harbor Freight measure with a live center in the tailstock. There are a lot of sites devoted to mini-lathes so here are a few links, I hope that you find something useful.
    Harbor Freight 8x12 Lathe review
    https://www.littlemachineshop.com/in...75694443&CAT=1
    Varmint Al's Mini Lathe Page

Thanks

Y-geo's Tools
    S & F
    Y-Geo

Thread Information