Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: What is this tool?

Thanks

What is this tool?

I've been taught throughout my life by my father to be self reliant. That included learning to fabricate what I needed to do a special job when necessary. It was one of my father's many legacies. I've enjoyed reading each issue of the forum and appreciating the wide range of skill and ingenuity demonstrated by the members.

I've attached some photos of a special tool for help in identifying its application. The heavy pulling screw is bored through about a 3/8" diam. hole. The heavy forcing nut has a ball bearing thrust bearing under it. The screw is keyed to the forging to prevent rotation. There is a stamped "A" within a circle followed by a "2" as the only identifying marks. It is a finely machined tool but carries no specialty tool numbers. Any suggestions?

WELL I SURE SCREWED UP THE FIRST POST AND THIS FOLLOWING ONE. I CAN'T SEE HOW TO REMOVE ANY OF THE DUPLICATIONS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is this tool?-img_2498-small-.jpg   What is this tool?-img_2497.jpg   What is this tool?-img_2495-small-.jpg   What is this tool?-img_2494.jpg   What is this tool?-special-tool-identify-e-bay-s-l1600.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to unbent For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Mar 12, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Hi unbent - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Duplicate all taken care of, happens to all of us sometimes.

I'm going to move this discussion into our Tool Talk subforum. We love a good tool mystery.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Looks like a leveling jack to set up or line up a fairly heavy component for fabrication or some other operation.

Thanks

RickT's Tools
    Looks like a blind bearing puller, like what is found on a flywheel. The legs straddle the hole, the snap ring goes through the bearing and locks, and you turn the screw to pull it. The channel on the screw should have a set screw or pin to keep the screw from rotating.
    Cheers!
    Rick T

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information