Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would be your dream build

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

What would be your dream build

If it didn't cost much money but could take a lot of your time what would be your dream tool to build?
    I currently have several projects going but am thinking what would be my number one dream build
    I was thinking maybe a super spacer or a rotary table combo. that would be interesting since I have neither a rotary table nor a super spacer and am always needing one or the other not sure I would want to sacrifice some of my materials for a build like that right now
    so maybe after I finish my folding break I might think about a 7 ft 10 ga shear the thing about that is it would be a grand for the knives alone not conducive to my way of thinking.
    the wife has been on me about my needing a radial arm drill in the range of an 8" column 3 ft arm and 3 HP . I have materials I could dedicate to that
    then there s my Toro diesel powered Z master that I am wanting to turn into a skid steer.
    I just don't know
    what would be some dream tools you guys would build for your own if you didn't need to spend a lot of money just a lot of time?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Seedtick (Sep 7, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    This isn't prioritized or in any kind of order. Offline, I'm working on a post how I prioritize projects. That list has many dozen if and when...
    None of these are high investment of material, some not equipped to undertake individually, all have some role making this shop 'run'.
    They would improve ability to progress through projects, and generate salable products. Reality says building some of these is impractical, others can be had in no other way. Very worthwhile looking for commercially produced machines/ equipment to bridge or re-purpose into that gap.

Replacement box column, Fosdick 3MT Production drill

Finish lathe travel rest
    Sliding Bed adapter for turret attachment
    Toolholder racks
    2" Gravity or air powered bar feed
    Lathe chuck rack

2 rolling doors
    2 large mobile floor fans
    solarization of 110v lighting & power
    Dock board for west door
    Hot water boiler heating throughout, 375k BTU
    What would be your dream build-home_away_from.jpg

Re-power inactive 11"x 4' radial drill [was line driven], L-table and floor plate
    Re-power 24" shaper [also line driven]
    Combination Weld platen & Plasma cutter
    Small tooling crane mounted to die shelving
    Mobile Lift table for 30" vertical & 48" horizontal rotary tables, or 6-10t bridge crane
    Press brake 10ga x 80"
    Slip roll 12ga x ?
    Coffin sleeper, lift gate, crane bed & stabilizers for flat bed

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I guess you only have to decide which of the projects to start on first. logic would say the doors primarily for ventilation and security.
    Solarization of lighting and power will require making a spread sheet of use applications then configure total installed load factor in start up loading such as power tools computers printer possibly a fridge and anything else. figure total daily consumption in KW this would give an approximation of the amount of reserve storage you would need for at least a 48 hr period. Traction batteries are best such as those found in forklifts Also forget about starting out with a 12 v DC system 24 is only moderately better. 48 v is the most efficient in terms of inverter and charge controller sizing. this also allows for lower amperage draw from the storage cells. 48 v is also better for inrush current loads the inverter will have to convert from DC to ac.
    Forget about a modified wave inverter also. even though most things will run on them things like 9 inch rt angle grinders will trip a 3500 watt inverter where as an 1800 watt pure sine with a large transformer will have enough overload cap for the grinder to start and run.. Many of the better inverters can be paralleled just like your batteries also they can be stacked to deliver the split phase 220
    If you want to get really adventurous make your own inverter a toridal transformer with around 70 lbs of core will give you a 18 KW unit the issue then is a large enough bank of mosfets and card plus enough heat sink to keep things from melting.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    One more note about solar.
    My system I had on my RV was 1100 watt of panels and 16 golf cart batteries set up 12 v because that was what the 1800 watt Dimensions inverter happened to be set up for. the system ran our 23 cf fridge the coffee maker the TV 2 lap tops and lights at the same time the inverter had a 5 minute 3800 watt overlaod cap. as long as the coffee pot wasn't in brew mode I could use the nu-wave cooker or the toaster. or when only the tv and fridge were running I could use my band saw or the little 12 inch craftsman lathe I had. 1/2' drill motors or 5 inch grinders were no problem but the 9 inch grinder needed all of the inverter's power just to start then it would run fine.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    IS you rdock board going to be spring loaded self leveling or hydraulic leveling?
    Imade this lift with 2 dock levelers in it one on each end of the platform 2 forklifts at a time could load and unload from 2 trailers in an alley then drive in the door
    If need be the platform could be raised with both loaded forklifts then a trailer driven under it
    What would be your dream build-anasif-4.jpg
    What would be your dream build-anasif-5.jpg

What would be your dream build-double-lift-dock-levelers.jpg

Thanks
    A. Combination Generator, Compressor & Vacuum Pump

B. Combination Reclining Chair, Laptop Rest, and Cup Holder with pockets for TV Remote and Phone

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    the combination Generator Air compressor & vacuum pump sounds interesting
    also quite doable the one obstetrical to overcome would be voltage and HZ stability when the compressor was pumping to do this obviously the engine would need to be sized large enough to handle full load of both without significant RPM fluctuation the AVR in most inverter style generators can can do a pretty good job of maintaining stable pure sine but until you get in the 25 and above KW range the engines are sized too close to the HP requirements of the generator to handle the added power requirements of an air compressor of any significant size. if you need it to be able to run something like a 3/4" impact wrench
    if you are only needing to power your house in case of an emergency then a a small 8 KW generator with a 2 cylinder diesel would be sufficient the engine could be adjusted for an additional 3 to 6 HP without long term harm to the engine and a compressor head from a 6 HP portable gas drive compressor could be belt driven the unloader valve would take care of cutting out the compressor when the storage tank is full.
    a vacuum pump from a Ford 7.3 IDI engine with a small 1 gallon tank would handle things like pulling a vacuum on refrigeration and air conditioning systems
    B for the recliner combo scout used air craft auctions for the fold down arm rest furniture from the business & first class seats of many airlines you can get them in both left and right side configurations attach them to a lazy-boy then re upholster to suit

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    IS you dock board going to be spring loaded self leveling or hydraulic leveling? I made this lift with 2 dock levelers in it one on each end of the platform 2 forklifts at a time could load and unload from 2 trailers in an alley then drive in the door
    If need be the platform could be raised with both loaded forklifts then a trailer driven under it
    I'll do a drawing on the access ramp project. Its to enable road vehicles enter from street level at grade across sidewalk. Been thinking how to close threshold under rolling door. I think the angle needs 18' run for loads to clear raised door, and truncate at the inside 'jamb'. A second hinged ramp would connect grade and truncate end. Like a lift gate or WWII landing craft ramp, just not olive drab, 11 tons, or any opposing troops! Same exterior wall, east as post #2, What would be your dream build-ramp.jpg

Different than load ramp, also needed eventually. I'd thought of articulating ramps, there were some removed from a warehouse, too $$ intense for rare use. Instead, a portable board with rectangular forklift eyes. When building was erected, truck-beds were lower. Sometime back the rear of the structure was torn down and a concrete ramp poured from existing floor to modern flatbed height, it's 20' long and 8' wide. West wall redone in cinder block and rollup door. I have a pair of bolt-on sturdy rubber stops, and vertical ladder dockside for the driver.
    I like the Kuwaiti solution but haven't their deep pockets. Be nice though, preserve flat floor when truck isn't indoors...Hate to guess cost of excavation, cylinders, pump, hoses, hinge, locks and switchgear to level 60 or 70k lbs.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 9, 2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: sketch
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    At one of the new retail big box establishments that was being built in Kuwait they had a similar requirement limited vehicle access to the inside of the building plus the need for dock high unloading the floor was about half a meter above street level too high for a simple approach drive apron given the minimum required set back and too low and too short to pit a dock ramp for the same reasons. My solution was to have the contractors pour a recessed pit under 3 of the doors then We manufactured 3 8 meter long 3.5 meter wide hydraulic ramps which when all the way down allowed traffic to drive in or out or when raised to full height they became loading docks when at rest level they formed the seal for the doors and the lower part emulated the look of the slab You couldn't tell from outside when the doors closed that there was even a possible way to access the building.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I still have the drawings for hte 8 meter units but never made jpegs of them these are of a 2 x 3 meter ramp the application would be the same only scaled

What would be your dream build-2x3-dock-leveler.jpg What would be your dream build-2x3-dock-leveler-steel-mopunt-frame-7.jpg

Thread Information