Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: What is your opinion.

Thanks

Hotz's Tools

What is your opinion.

Hello everyone, my question!
    What is the best door system for sandblasting, two side doors and a top door.
    I am designing a new cabinet is want your opinion.

Thank you.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,800 Times in 9,911 Posts
    Depends on your design Hotz. If its a big one , I would go for the side doors. For small ones, I would opt for the front/top doors.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Altair...
    Thank you for your opinion, I have a sandblasted with two doors, but how will I use to shot peening, I'm thinking one build with a front door.
    So I do not lose too abrasive.

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Holt,
    When you say shot peening, you are referring to using tiny steel balls to blast at the surface of the metal?

If so, I have seen some large industrial size ones at factories in China, and it is a completely different design than a regular sandblasting cabinet. The steel shot is slung at the parts using spinning impellers, and the entire cabinet is completely enclosed in steel. You hang the parts inside the compartment, close and lock the doors, and then turn on the impellers to blast the steel shot at the parts. The parts are typically on a rottissory, so they get rotated around to get all sides blasted.

Please be very careful if you are going to try this at home, as the steel shot bounces back with high energy, and will go through any clear plastic or glass windows in a regular sandblaster. It will also do a number on the thin sheetmetal that is typically used in a sandblasting cabinet.
    The steel cabinets for shot peening that I have seen are constructed of thick steel, and looks more like something to contain a the blast from a bomb.

If you are planning to shot peen, I can post some pics of the industrial ones that I have seen, just let me know.

Hopefully that helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Hotz (Dec 24, 2014)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Interesting post, Kent. Shooting pellets via impellers at parts on a rotisserie would involve more than a little creativity.

Thanks
    I worked in a plant for several years that had shot blasting machinery made by Wheelabrator, and also Jetblast. These machines are very high powered, and use what is best described as a "water wheel" to accelerate the blasting media and direct the media onto the work. There are many deferent iterations of the machinery. I thing shot blasting and peening might be to aggressive for what Hotz needs. Also, if you are blasting ferrous metal, it will rust faster than you think it can. Get the freshly blasted work piece painted, or protected from moisture quickly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to navy1 For This Useful Post:

Hotz (Dec 24, 2014)

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Thanks guys ...
    Yes I will use abrasive stainless steel, with the pressure of 170 PSI. The cabinet is made from steel plate 0.15748in.
    As to the glass display my idea is to use tempered with a thickness of 1/4 inches, I am testing material for spray nozzle and building pressurization system does not work as suction.

All my work will be exclusive to finish in aluminum and hardened piston head.

I've also seen many videos on the subject but today most are CNC. thus enjoy seeing some pictures of mechanical design work.

edt: navy1 thank you, for me a single word opens a big world studies.
    Airblast & Wetblast Equipment - Wheelabrator

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Hotz; Dec 24, 2014 at 09:39 AM.

Thread Information