Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wip...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Next step is to make handle for it.

Wip...-img_20180915_201235_554.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Looking good are you going to flash treat the blade area?
    RR track is high in manganese and reasonably hard already but the blade could probably benefit from some hardening.
    In reference to a previous post of yours, I know what you mean. A foundry used to call me quite often to to come and core weld several castings they would make for this one company. the castings always came out with voids in the exact same place. and exactly the same depth. One day after burning several 30 " long 1/2 diameter welding rods I asked the foreman why don't you simple increase the mold cavity a little or add another sprew so you wouldn't encounter this issue each time?
    His reply was we don't make the molds we just pour the steel.
    So do you get to charge the customer extra for having to address the shrinkage issue.
    OH yes they are happy that we take care of the little imperfections before shipping the castings to them.
    I thought this was a silly way to do business but what did I know I was just an outside contractor getting paid very well for my time and using their 800 amp welding machine.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 16, 2018), Tuomas (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I didn't write this, but certainly could have, same situation occurs regularly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    Thank you Frank.

I don't like my job everyday.. but i still think,
    That i have great workplace. They never deny you to improve things, working area or tools..

Of course there is allways safety issues and things öike that to consider. But there is allways one listening. Nobody never says that the idea is stupid, before actually thinking it first.

I would like to build good workshop to myself,
    but because my space is very limited, i have had to leave that for the future. That doesn't bother, because i can build those stuff at work, its frustrating to get an idea and then reject it, just because you don't have space for it.

We have couple big companies as a customer, with them is very hard to get things fixed or improved. There so many tasks that could be done better with little re-design, but it takes months to get even errors fixed from the plans, that is the part that i don't like on my job.
    Nearly entire cause for my space is, I can't accomplish anything at work except what pays them, where my tiny [%] slice comes from. My shop is quite large, still inoperative, and everyday that goes by causes worry I'm trying to accomplish TOO MUCH.
    Not much issue with anyone not liking ideas; but we aren't introduced to projects until they are in-work. They've had time to wrap their heads around, then we iron out kinks. It's a small company, 67 odd years started by grandpa [long gone] son and grandson run it now. And neither worked anywhere else...The two shop men have 80+ years between us, in who knows how many environments.
    Certainly Tuomas's comment on how big companies are stubborn and slow moving, I'm afraid is nearly universal, usually my largest frustration too. Come to think of it, it may be second largest, but at the same time my biggest inspiration.
    And watching our friends carve work like Tuomas does, just makes me want it more.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018), Tuomas (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    Thanks mate.
    Yeah i was really surpised when they contacted me.
    It seems that even that i make youtube videos, more important thing was that i also post things on the places where is people who actually uses tools. Not just spend their time watching videos.
    Hmmm. That means praise for Kearney & Trecker, American Tool Works, Pratt & Whitney and Monarch is all for naught? I'm not shilling in behalf of HF or any of their counterparts...Mayhaps used machinery dealers will pick up on it...I know a ton of guys keeping them in business.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Wip...-img_20180916_211453_103.jpg

Video about making:

And because i mentioned my workplace, here is a short video about it too:

Because size and shape of the components are changing all the time, we need to modify jigs, turntables etc all the time. Personally i think that those modifiyng tasks are best part of my job.

Manufacturing some propulsion components may take two or three months, in that time it starts to get boring...
    Its very refreshing to make something very different between actual builds.
    Last edited by Tuomas; Sep 17, 2018 at 02:31 AM.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 17, 2018), Harvey Melvin Richards (Sep 17, 2018), Jon (Sep 17, 2018), LMMasterMariner (Sep 17, 2018), Marine2171 (Sep 18, 2018), PJs (Sep 17, 2018), rlm98253 (Sep 17, 2018), Saxon Violence (Oct 13, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 17, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Sep 17, 2018)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Tuomas;
    Saw still photo, which made me watch axe video. Saw the surface finish DONE BY HAND, but still can't believe my eyes. It appears so perfectly uniform, I'm amazed. I must start in on this angle grinding method of fabrication. x10
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 17, 2018), Tuomas (Sep 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Exceptional build, Tuomas. Also enjoyed seeing where you normally work. Awesome skills and machinery.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rlm98253 For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Sep 18, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quite the Handsome Axe Tuomas! One day there will be a bronze of you and your angle grinder somewhere in prominence in Finland overlooking a Grand industrial park!

That belt grinder was a Beautiful build!!! Was also Awed by the 70T capacity CMM in the work video...Holy Kadoodle. Definitely Heavy Industry by anyone's book.

Thanks for sharing the build and your work video.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Sep 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    An amassing build. I own 8 angle grinders 2 9 inch a 7 inch 1 5 inch and the rest are 4 1/2 inch all of them have different types of grind wheels, cobs, brushes, and sanding disks on them I figure that I would wear out everyone of them trying to grind away that much materiel.
    I must say you have perfected the art of using an angle grinder.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Tuomas;
    Saw still photo, which made me watch axe video. Saw the surface finish DONE BY HAND, but still can't believe my eyes. It appears so perfectly uniform, I'm amazed. I must start in on this angle grinding method of fabrication. x10
    Thanks buddy!

Those shapes are actually very easy to make.
    Those fiber discs are great for removing material quickly, and also for grinding straight surfaces.

There's more info about used accessory on the description box.
    O tried to copy the text, but links doesn't work if i paste them here. That's some weird issue in youtube app.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Sep 18, 2018)

Thread Information