Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)

Helped an online friend a while back design a 3D-Printed electronics box for a Bluetooth wireless Digital Readout (DRO) that uses any 'Android' type tablet and the TouchDRO App ...

As a Thank You he sent me one of the blu-DRO electronics enclosure units.
    al@blu-dro.com ... http://blu-dro.com

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-ctm-blu-dro-box-end-1.jpg

It came in nice looking Dark Blue 'blu-DRO' box, but just for the fun of it I drew up and 3D-Printed a box on my 3D-Printer when I was 3D-Printing the Android Tablet mounts ...

For More info about Yuriy's very well done TouchDRO App:
    About Me | Yuriy's Toys

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-ctm-blu-dro-box-back-1.jpg

It works seamlessly with the inexpensive AccuRemote Digital Readouts I already have on my Milling Machine.
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...gital-readout/

Updated Website Post showing the blu-DRO on my Milling Machine:
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...-wireless-dro/

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-blu-dro-unit-close-up.jpg

I purchased an inexpensive EMATIC brand Android type 7" tablet for $49 to use with the blu-DRO electronics box ...

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-back-blu-dro.jpg

Used SolidWorks CAD software to draw my tablet mounts and 3D-Printed them ...

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-solidworks-screen-capture-dro.jpg
    Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-blu-dro-parts.jpgWireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-blu-dro-tablet-unit.jpg

I installed the Unit onto a Metal Plate connected to a swivel arm on my Milling Machine and I am very pleased with the results

Video Link: https://twitter.com/MetalDesigner/st...06214675001344

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-3d-printed-blu-dro-parts.jpg

I can mount the blu-DRO box on the back of my mount plate and pull it off in seconds and mount it on my lathe ... but being wireless connection to Tablet/Screen one would probably mount the blu-DRO box on the side of the mill out of the way.

Even better as soon as more blu-DRO electronics box units are available I am going to get another blu-DRO electronics box and mount on both my Lathe and Milling machine because then there will be no cords running out on the swing arm that holds the Android Tablet. (Same tablet works on both Lathe & Mill and slips into 3D-Printed holders on each machine in just seconds because it is wireless)

Don't need a power cord on tablet because it works off the battery all day ... and I take it inside during night time and plug it in.

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-e-mail-dro-tablet.jpg

Bonus is I can read my email out in the shop ... and View PDFs of Mechanical Drawings on the Tablet ... and can view Machinist Speed/Feed Apps on the same tablet I use as a DRO

At first I thought the blu-DRO had to be plugged into the Android Tablet with a cord ... then he informed me it was Wireless and uses Bluetooth so I could mount the electronics way out of the way of fluids and chips and plug in the 3 AccuRemote cords into the electronics blu-DRO box... and then that frees up to mount the wireless tablet on a swing arm or where ever one wishes to mount it.

I thought is was great BEFORE found out it was wireless, but now it is amazing!!

I think the blu-DRO 3D-Printed electronics enclosure will be a great inexpensive option for those individuals that do not wish to put together the electronics themselves.
    ( Myself being one of those people )

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-blu-dro-working-position.jpg

CHEERS!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Feb 16, 2016 at 08:54 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Dec 9, 2015), Charron63 (Dec 11, 2017), HUMARIA (Aug 15, 2019), IAMSatisfied (Aug 17, 2019), Jon (Dec 8, 2015), kbalch (Dec 9, 2015), Maszynotwór (Aug 16, 2019), nova_robotics (Apr 7, 2022), Paul Jones (Dec 8, 2015), PJs (Dec 9, 2015), Saltfever (Aug 17, 2019), Sleykin (Apr 7, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Dec 5, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks MetalDesigner! We've added your Wireless DRO Mounts to our Digital Readouts category, as well as to your builder page: MetalDesigner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Jon; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Now that is a very cool setup using the wireless capability (I also got a good laugh about you reading your email in the shop )
    Thanks for the posting, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Wow, that's cool beyond belief! When do you think the blu DRO's will be available to us mortals? And how much?

I've been contemplating adding X & Y DRO's to my drill/mill and the mess of wiring was not appealing at all, not to mention the small readouts. This could be a real game changer.

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Thanks for the note Paul
    Every time walk out into my workshop and see the DRO, I think how cool a setup it is ... and another laugh for you is I helped Al draw up the original box idea for 3D-Printing many months ago and only until I put it on my Milling Machine did I realize it was BLUETOOTH wireless ... Thought it was a great inexpensive option before when thought it plugged into the tablet, but finding out it is wireless is amazing because can mount the blu-DRO box on the side or back of mill!

Put a post on my Website with Links for more TouchDRO details; https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...-wireless-dro/
    and http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/about-me.html

CHEERS!!

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-touchdro-screenshot.jpg
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Dec 11, 2015 at 12:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 9, 2015)

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    Wow, that's cool beyond belief! When do you think the blu DRO's will be available to us mortals? And how much?

I've been contemplating adding X & Y DRO's to my drill/mill and the mess of wiring was not appealing at all, not to mention the small readouts. This could be a real game changer.
    Thanks for the Note ~ Added more info on Small Workshop Website: https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.co...-wireless-dro/

To answer your question I think Al is selling them on eBay (Maybe just search 'blu-DRO' on google or ebay) ... Think it depends on when he gets in electronics parts as to when he sells them ... The computer-board electronics stuff is beyond my intelligence *grin* ... I just helped with the original 3D-Printing STL files for the electronics box.

As a old welder that just happens to own machining tools, I already had the inexpensive AccuRemote Digital Readouts on my Milling Machine and Lathe, so it was just a matter of plugging the AccuRemote's 3-Axis cords into the blu-DRO box and then the Tablet is wireless.
    ( Pretty sure the electronics was designed to work on iGaging DROs as well)
    Just type a search in AMAZON for ' Remote Digital Readout ' and you will see the sale prices.
    Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-igaging-dro.jpg

I am jumping up and down happy if I get 0.001" accuracy for the parts I make for my projects, so buying the 3 individual Axis Units of AccuRemotes on Sale on Amazon for about $120 for all 3 ... and then just a $49 for the tablet is certainly a great deal for all the functions the Tablet App DRO App provides... and I can use the same tablet on my Lathe & Mill because it is wireless and I just pick it up and walk over and put it on the other machine in seconds.
    Normally a fancy expensive DRO unit that is 0.0001" accuracy would be 5 to 10 times the cost of this blu-DRO setup, but my machines don't even get 0.0001" accuracy therefore the AccuRemotes 0.001" is the same I can read on my digital calipers.

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-accuremote-dro-render.jpg

If I need a part to 0.0001" accuracy I take it to my local machine shop. *grin*

I don't have anything to do with the blu-DRO sales but I did find this in a search online:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/blu-DRO-Blue...cAAOSwHjNV-CLW

CHEERS!!
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Dec 9, 2015 at 11:58 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    The only blu-DRO went at auction for $106, do you know if this is what his plan is? To only auction? He doesn't seem to be offering them anyplace else. Guess I'll just keep an eye out. Thanks for the post.

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    The only blu-DRO went at auction for $106, do you know if this is what his plan is? To only auction? He doesn't seem to be offering them anyplace else. Guess I'll just keep an eye out. Thanks for the post.
    I was just looking at a cool tubing bender on this website ... Lots of fun stuff, glad people share ...

ANYWAY... To answer your questions ~ A lot of those eBay things now are a set price ... Heck at $106 I'll buy another one for a friend of mine in-trade for some metal casting work I need done *grin*
    ... but I really don't know cause I did the 3D-Printing STL files months ago and then this blu-DRO shows up in the mail with a Thank You note ... Too Cool!!!

I sent him an email today to ask for when he will be selling them online again and an updated web-link ... If I had to guess it is a matter of they sell out and then have to wait to get in more electronics parts ... I believe when we talked months ago his Goal is to keep everything inexpensive so more people can have them, which I think is pretty cool of him ...

I helped Keith Rucker ( Vintage Machinery Museum YouTube Channel ) with his 3D-Printed Metal Casting Mold Shape items and that is why Al asked me to help with the 3D-Printed box because then there was no CAD Engineering cost cause I did it gratis, and no injection mold setup cost because only has to 3D-Print the boxes as the orders come in ... That is why I helped him gratis because the goal was to keep it inexpensive ... the Unit he sent me was a bonus!! It really is cool!! ...

As a side note ~ The fancy DRO that was offered with my Milling Machine when I bought it cost as much as my milling machine but this thing does all the same stuff and it uses wireless BLUETOOTH ... actually I am surprised to find out it was only $106 to control a 3-Axis DRO, now I know I will buy another one for my new metal lathe.

I will post the web-link on here that he gives me when he gets back to me.

CHEERS!!!
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Dec 9, 2015 at 12:58 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

I added some more photos with the blu-DRO Electronics Box mounted to the back-side of my Mill and the tablet & TouchDRO App are completely wireless ...

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-wireless-blu-dro-mount-1.jpg

. . .

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-off-power-switch.jpg

CHEERS!!

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Here are some updated photos showing using that blu-DRO control unit my friend Al sent to me to machine a Aluminum Casting on my Milling Machine ... it works with the free TouchDRO App that works 'wireless' on any Android OS tablet.

I 3D-Printed the Vise Split-Patterns to create a sand mold hollow shape to pour in the molten Aluminum ... The castings were made by my friend SuperDave.

The two Machinist Vises I usually use were at a different workshop, so I had to rig up this bizarre little ‘Cat-in-the-Hat’ milling hold down setup using my drill-press vise.

Setup worked to get the test cut measurement needed, but I was about to the point of getting out the duct tape ��

… The important thing is the blu-DRO worked flawlessly!! Thanks AL!!

Great Aluminum Castings SuperDave!! Thank You!!

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-blu-dro-aluminum-vise-casting.jpg

For more photos click Here:

Video Link of Milling Machine:

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-blu-dro-touchdro-app.jpg

Wireless Mill Digital Readout (DRO)-3dprinted-patterns.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Apr 14, 2016 at 04:58 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

PJs (Apr 13, 2016)

Thread Information