Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wood lathe turning piece hits man in face - video

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Wood lathe turning piece hits man in face. 0:19 video:

Previously:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...4907#post80809
    Safety is a big serious thing especially for the noggin. My fav piece of kit used to the one on the left.

I used to use it with gauze while whippersnipping/brushcutting in parks: that was until a very large sloppy doggy doo sprayed through the gauze and covered my face as well as my body.I was spitting more than chips and not one tap in the park: had to find a neighbour at home & then phone for clothes replacement. I'd laugh but it still isn't funny, many years on. Who would have thought that a 33cc brush cutter loaded with 3mm string could spray so much from under low branches where it couldn't even be seen.

I changed to the right one (with no tell tale unused accumulation of dust)after a chunk of relatively soft Toona sp. let loose from a lathe while I was standing aside to check out its behaviour before starting.(I waited years for prices of similar items to fall due to the demand of safety gear but it never happened but tech did improve weight, use time etc: these also remove harmful dust associated with similar such species). The red cedar chunk missed me but was flung across the shed.

An experienced lady at our club continually turns unbalanced large dia sections scareing the beejees out of me. I think she wants to go back to Massachusetts or where ever. I hear the chunk a de chunk, chunk a chunka de chunk as she turns & i leave that area. Apparently she has had several let loose but I have seen only one: 1 too many for my liking. Then again I'm a learner................. at most everything.

Wood lathe turning piece hits man in face - video-rsz_dsc_1743.jpg

You can be safe with $30 or a grand.

Cheers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jun 13, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Clearly better protection would help. Looks like the blank was starting to get "roundish" but I don't know how secure it was mounted, and he may have tried to rush things and take too much wood off that caused the release.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by N00b Machinist View Post
    It would be great if there was some way to "chuck" your material securely to the headstock, appropriate to the mass and the turning speed. Also, if there were only some sort of shield you could wear on your head to protect your face from this sort of thing.

Guy who invents those two things'll have the world beating a path to his door.
    Allow me to thank you – on behalf of the satirically challenged.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by N00b Machinist View Post
    It would be great if there was some way to "chuck" your material securely to the headstock, appropriate to the mass and the turning speed. Also, if there were only some sort of shield you could wear on your head to protect your face from this sort of thing.

Guy who invents those two things'll have the world beating a path to his door.
    Wood lathe turning piece hits man in face - video-sarcasm.jpg
    Pat

Thanks
    I'd be willing to bet he'll be more careful with his set-up, and safety gear next time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Pat

Thread Information