Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wood Shop forward thinking....?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Powless Design's Tools

Lightbulb Wood Shop forward thinking....?

When I built my shop and bought a new table saw I took an extra step that has made my life in the 16'x24' space more tolerable.

I cut down my original workbench to match the height of the tablesaw and it now serves as a general workbench and an outfeed table. But I went further. I switched out the casters on an old rollng tool cabinet my brother-in-law gave me to also match the saw height. It sits on the feed side of the saw and I added a plywood hook so I can lift a full sheet on to the cabinet and then roll it into place. One last thing I did is when I constructed a new solid top bench I also set it on heavy-duty locking casters so that it was the same height. The result means that when the new bench is rolled up to the general bench it makes not only a large surface area for layout and glue-up but also serves as an outfeed table extension. This allows me to pass a full 4x8 sheet of plywood through the saw fully supported. It is my version of a sliding table cabinet saw (sort of )

I have found that in a small shop making things work double duty opens up floor space needed to build cabinets and furniture. As I revise my tool stands and carts I'll make sure to follow the same trend ensuring that large materal being run through the table saw has a clear path and plenty of support.

Just a thought....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Powless Design For This Useful Post:

Doc (Dec 23, 2014)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks for sharing your ideas, Powless Design. Very useful for those with limited shop space.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information