Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)

Supporting Member Kiss Attila Csongor's Avatar
    Thanks

Kiss Attila Csongor's Tools

Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)

I have a Dremel like rotary tool and I wanted a mini router base for it. It can be bought from Dremel or Stewmac e.g.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pa...1#.VoaYj_nhDs1
    http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...uter_Base.html

but I decided to make one. Made an initial research (as always) and found some good and nice examples and inspirations:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/410179478536374027/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/410179478532873421/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/410179478534441257/
    Inexpensive Dremel Router Attachment
    DIY 2$ Dremel Router Attachment
    Homemade Trim Router Base
    Homemade Router Base

I decided to make it 3 legged to increased stability and wanted to try it, so I made a prototype out of cardboard.

I documented the whole fun on Instructables step by step, and made a cardboard prototype to figure out the plan is working. Check it here:

Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)

Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-wp_20151220_00_49_26_pro.jpgWooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-wp_20151220_00_51_18_pro.jpg

Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-wp_20151225_14_34_24_pro.jpgWooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-wp_20151225_14_34_54_pro.jpgWooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-wp_20151226_11_21_29_pro.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Kiss Attila Csongor; Jan 1, 2016 at 08:18 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kiss Attila Csongor For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Nov 19, 2017), Home-PC (Mar 17, 2023), Jon (Jan 1, 2016), kbalch (Jan 2, 2016), Mark Fogleman (Jan 8, 2016), oldcaptainrusty (Nov 20, 2017), PJs (Jan 8, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    That is a nice looking design and thanks for the prototyping advice on using cardboard for the initial mock-up. Thanks for the posting, Paul Jones

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Thanks Paul for Your reply. The cardboard prototyping was a sudden idea but it surprisingly exceeded my expectations.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Kiss Attila Csongor! We've added your Mini Plunge Router Base to our Routing category, as well as to your builder page: Kiss Attila Csongor's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Thank You DIYer!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiss Attila Csongor For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jan 5, 2016)

Thanks
    Hi Kiss Attila Csongor,

Very clever and useful addition to the rotary tool arsenal! Your Mini Plunge Router Base is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Wooden precision mini plunge router base for rotary tool (with cardboard prototype)-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Let me have your details (size, color choice, and mailing address) via PM and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks

Wow! What an unexpected surprise! Thank You and You all, I'm very pleased.

But there is something must be clarified. Some guys on Instructables warned me that it isn't plunge, since it's fixed and have no spring return mechanism. I'm not native in english, please help me to clarify it. During my initial research I've seen some designs called plunge but was fixed like mine.

Thank You all again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Congratulations on being selected for the tool of the week. You have some wonderful tool designs and I plan to follow your work. Also, I think your use of cardboard stock for testing designs and prototyping is good way to proceed. One of my grandsons (who just turned 13) uses corrugated cardboard stock material to build working prototypes of machines because he doesn't have access to wood or metal raw stock let alone the tools to cut it. Yet, I am amazed at what can be built from cardboard using just a sharp #11 X-ACTO knife and white glue. Regards, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Kiss Attila Csongor (Jan 8, 2016)

Thanks

Thank You Paul!
    Great to hear about Your grandson, must be a lucky boy. So here comes the next generation of makers, builders with broader possibilities. Btw, is there a corner here for kid/young builders?

Thanks
    Nice work! This should get a workout with your luthiery.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Fogleman For This Useful Post:

Kiss Attila Csongor (Jan 9, 2016)

Thread Information