Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Workbench and Tool Chest

Thanks

markfitz's Tools

Workbench and Tool Chest

Workbench and Tool Chest-image.jpeg
    Workbench and Tool Chest-image.jpeg
    Workbench and Tool Chest-image.jpegWorkbench and Tool Chest-image.jpg

I needed some extra storage space in the shop. My workbench had seen better days, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and make a large tool chest integrated into a new bench. I had a couple old Craftsman roll-away tool chests laying around that I used for the workbench pedestals after removing their wheels. Particle board pieces were cut to fit the top and bottome of each cabinet. These were screwed onto a platform made of 2x4s and 3/4" particle board. Then I built a 6-drawer box The same height as the pedestals to fill the center space. I made the depth of this center section about 2 inches less than pedestals to let me recess the drawer fronts and handles. A 2x4 mounted on the shop wall gave support for a sheet of 3/4" particle board the same dimensions as the bottom platform. This gave me a 9 1/2" x 26" x 68" space behind the pedestals for storage of larger items. Next came three 20" x 20" x 2" drawers between supports for the 3/4" particle board work top. The work surface is a sheet of melamine-coated hardboard cut to the size of the 30" x 72" top. I had this arrangement on my old bench and it lasted over six years before I had to change the hardboard sheet. The work top overlaps the drawers and the sides by a couple inches. On the back I screwed a 3 1/2" board. At 12-inch intervals the board has a pair of 1/4" T-nuts to give me something to bolt-on jigs, fences, or whatever. With the four drawers in the old Craftsman chests, I now have 13 drawers, two large storage bins, and a long storage space in the back. The bench is rock solid. I got Home Depot to mix up some paint to match the Craftsman chests and it came out looking pretty good.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markfitz For This Useful Post:

richardcrane (Jun 20, 2017), Seedtick (Jun 21, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks markfitz! We've added your Workbench and Tool Chest to our Workbenches category,
    as well as to your builder page: markfitz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

will52100's Tools
    Nicely done, would love something like that myself.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information