Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Workshop garotte

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    I concur , I have a laundry list of stuff from the kitchen in my garage . I tend to use the oven and dishwasher for forming and cleaning things from the garage.
    Several years ago I wound about a dozen coils springs of various sizes out of music wire while I had them all locked on their respective forming mandrels made of various woods I placed them in my wife's oven to set their shape after a couple of hours she came in and that sure smells good what are you baking. I told her winding spring treats. All I got was a perplexed look with a just be sure they don't drip I just cleaned the oven.
    She was correct though the vapors from the mixtures of wood mandrels did have an appetizing fragrance

Marv I do like your tool I have made several of them, over the years some with a simple soda straw and a piece of string they usually get tossed as soon as I am through with them.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Apr 27, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 29, 2017), verticalmurph (Sep 13, 2023)

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    So simple, I like it!

2000 Tool Plans
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up I can't make one!

"It's simple to fabricate in the home shop... and... Until they perfect non-ferrous magnets, it makes a pretty good lasso for snaring small items dropped into finger-inaccessible holes."

I was needing one of these several times in the past week, at home and at a project away from home so, I can't make JUST one...I'll have to make one for the shop and one for each tool kit in each car and one for my briefcase tool kit and one for my tool kit in the office and ...I've just spent an hour but it'll be worth it!

Great idea! Problem Solver!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimboTN For This Useful Post:

IAMSatisfied (Oct 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Took me a few minutes to see how the wire was positioned on the end of the tube but once I figured that out, I see how it works and keeps the thread from retracting. Will definitely be making one of these. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks

gatz's Tools
    Great idea.
    I like that there's a wire across the tube's end to prevent the thread from being pulled back out.

An old trick we used to get string into a long tube (in this case, it was to clean the I.D. with lacquer thinner) was to tie a small nut to the end of the string; drop it in the tube and use an air blast to push it on through. Of course the nut must be sized accordingly. lol
    Once through, a scrimp towel tied to the opposite end, was soaked with lacquer thinner and then pulled on through.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gatz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 11, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I made one some years ago with small diameter stranded stainless for the loop. Haven't used it a lot, but occasionally it's indispensable - usually for retrieving non-ferrous things dropped through gaps between deck boards.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    About 30 years ago when visiting my parents in Brisbane, my dad was very much over a yellow crested white cockatoo destroying his corn crop. The bird would take a chunk out of one head then move on to the next. (This problem happened often on farms and the farmers knew they could shoot one bird and the flock would not return until the folling year.) Firearms were still legal then, but not in surburbia (besides it was obviously someones pet) and it would simply fly up to adjacent power lines when chased from the yard. dad wanted to lassoo the pest but I was fearful of the power lines. We discussed the power of its beak (able to crack a macadamia nut like a peanut) & finally we came up with a plan of using a 16 ft surf rod with heavy fishing line (about 100 lb breaking strain) looped through the tip, and one end tied to the heavy first runner: the other end could be pulled through the full set of runners by the hand balancing but not holding the weight of the surf rod. On about the fifth attempt I managed to snare the cockatoo's head and down it came with my elderly dad pouncing on the bird grabing its head in one hand as he tried to grab both feet with his other hand. One claw was missed and the frightened bird tore my fathers arm with it while I tried to contain that leg. We managed to secure it in a parrot cage but never found its owner. A friend wanted the bird as a pet (they live to about 80 years) so we gave it to him. My dad led a full life to !01 years somewhat more than the birds expectancy.LOL

Great idea Marv, thanks for sharing & remember it if you have a problem with an Australian Cockatoo or corella.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

volodar (Jul 1, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Back in the 70s there was a manufactured tool that looked similar. But it had a J end. Was made for small clips on merecedes carbs. But I also used it for small screws. Once started I could disconnect the tool from the screw.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

volodar (Nov 17, 2018)

Thanks
    Brilliant! My problem now solved.

Thanks
    I’m wondering what a “non-ferrous magnet” is?

Thread Information