Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: x-axis dro for my vintage lathe.

Thanks

schor's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    My SB lathe is about the same age as yours and I made a new crosslide acme screw and nut for it, an easy way too check wear is to lock the slide and measure the backlash on the feed dial at 1 inch intervals. Assuming that wear on the nut will be more of a constant than on the screw it will probably tell you that the worst area is between the C/L and about 2.5 inches out where most work is done and so the variation would be wear on the screw, this was true in my case.
    However as you have done a super job of fitting a DRO you have made backlash irrelevant and given your lathe a better than new accuracy.
    The reason I did not fit DRO to my lathe is that I do a lot of milling with it and so backlash is something I needed to reduce is much as possible.
    Thanks for the comment. The dro works very well and I can hit my mark pretty much all the time now.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Steve
    Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Thanks
    Good stuff, apart from the annoying background music...Thanks

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Hard to beat a DRO. Adding quick change tools can really show the advantages, worn lead screw or not. A big temptation, adding to a compound!
    A recommendation I offer is verifying by other than combination of leadscrew-dial-DRO. On a lathe of that size, should think 4 or 5 inches with 1-2-3 blocks or comparable standard and a test indicator. Simple as laying a bar over ways and using carriage to get indicator tip 'in and out' of contact with chosen standard.
    DRO's accuracy relate to attaining 2 planes of square and level travel in accordance with slide being monitored; minimizing sine error(s).
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 18, 2018)

Thanks
    good work!! I have the stainless igagauging on my small mill, i had the igaging aluminum ones on my big mill(bridgeport) and put a std dro on it,Ill take the alumimun gauges/scales and put on my 3 year old 9x20 ...at some point, they should already be on there but somehow they arnt. I wish there was a cheep reader that read 2x for the cross slide so I didnt have to think.....sometimes thinking aint my strong suit...sometimes may be stretching it a bit...no a bit more than that..Ive still got to build a lead screw cover and way cover for the cross slide.and....yup lots of stuff I want to do...like add a 1 or 2 inch spacer under the tail stock&main spindl head thingy...I know I should of got a bigger lathe. ittle do for now.

Thanks
    Thanks Steve-
    Excellent way to breathe new life into a great old iron horse, (I'm gonna do this to my old TH54 this weekend)!. Is this a great site or what?
    -Basil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information