Found another short piece of rebar today this time a 1/2" and 14" long figured it would go well with the previous one which is 3/8" and 9 inches long
This one I managed to turn the taper on the lathe then heat to cherry and quench it became hard enough to resist a file so I heated to light straw and air cooled it is pretty tough but not brittle Should complement my collection of punches.
I also have some 3/4" rebar and a piece of 1 1/2" rebar but think I might make other plans of them.
Rebar is absolutely underrated, check for yourselves what some ingenuity and cheapness can achieve!:
For the nosy ones: Rebar barrel
Note the wire and bubble-gum-colored pink (!) epoxy for the scope rings and front sight mount - keeping it cheap-to-the-bone.
You can get lucky and heat treat rebar so that it will resist a file on the surface but just under a thin case hardened layer it will still be butter soft. I try to think of it as the poorest excuse for Damascus without the pattern and no expectations of hardenability. If I can get a slight case hardening then I will stress relieve it and hope for the best.
With drift punches I often just need something to nudge 2 parts into alignment to be able to bolt something together.
Last edited by Frank S; 08-19-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Philip Davies (08-19-2019)
Pretty boring nozzles, just straight sections of 1/2" material, bored out 17/64" nozzle hole, with the 120 degree conical lead in from a larger drill. I heated them to cherry red heat with the O-A torch, and dropped them in a jar of peanut oil that was sitting out in my shop for some unknown reason. I used a piece of welding filler rod, I bent a small dog leg hook on. I let gravity hold the nozzle on the hook, then when up to heat flicked them over the open jar of oil. The hot drops caused the jar to crack, but all of these cooled off. I think I should have used water.
The gun came with the sand blast cabinet.
Top side of gun showing set screws for holding the nozzle, and the air jet that is 1/8" diameter.
This is a real crappy sketch I made of the gun back in 2001 (on a calendar sheet).
I just tested them on my Rockwell hardness tester, C scale they are 64-66 hardness. One was 52, that is now a reject.
I chucked the pieces in my undersize 10x24 lathe, removed the raised surface, then used a 1/2x13 die to cut the threads on each end of the 2.5 foot rebar bolt. I ran into what must have been a ball bearing, as there was no threading of that section, and it destroyed the die. That is when I learned about true HSS dies as well, as I thought those hex dies were for cutting new threads, which I learned are rethreading dies (lasted for 6 threads each). (I was pretty ignorant back then, probably still).
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)