Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 158. 2 Lathe tips for firewood (shorts tip)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools

158. 2 Lathe tips for firewood (shorts tip)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Make Things For This Useful Post:

byates (Jun 5, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Just an add for a moisture meter.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 27, 2023)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Just an add for a moisture meter.
    You must not have a lathe. I collect firewood...using a moisture meter has saved me several times. And the bark face thing...really freaking hurts. That was my hit and it took months to heal. Just an FYI, I didn't make any money on that moisture meter...not even the amazon link. I was offered a discount for my subs and took it over the few pennies I would have made through amazon's crappy ad revenue service. It's a good meter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I simply stated your video is an add for the meter, which it is, but since you want to be snarky...

The video is purely click bait. You could have accomplished the same result just posting a test review of the meter. If you are making money from YouTube, I have no problem with that. However, as I mentioned, the video is SPECIFICALLY an add for a moisture meter. AND you are showing other very dangerous practices!!!!

I have a lathe, 2 in fact. Been turning wood for near 60 years. I often turn freshly cut "green" wood, just for the warping effect created in plates and bowls as the wood dries. It is fun to turn green wood, as you can feel the moisture as it is released from the wood. Sometimes the finished product splits when it dries, sometimes not, but always a fascinating result. I have also worked with well aged and dried 100+ year old barn beams.

The title of your video says "tips" for turning firewood. There are indeed two tips, remove bark and check moisture content, so the plural is justified. There are however also serious safety issues shown which are much more dangerous for turners than the "tips" are helpful. I initially let those slide, but since you wish to justify you video, lets continue.

If you want to give some good tips for turning fire wood, may I suggest a cup center, either live or dead. The common 60˚ center is actually very dangerous on a wood lathe. This allows the work piece to fly out and hit you in the face!!! A cup center both centers the wood and actually squeezes the wood together rather than trying create a split. ALSO you need to keep your tool rest MUCH CLOSER to the work than you show in the video. If you need that much space for clearance on your rough project, you need to trim high spots with an axe, draw knife, chisel or plane before you start to turn. That huge space gives the workpiece a MUCH better chance to catch your chisel and Hit you in the face!!! If you cannot take the time to square the ends, at least where the drive and center contact the material, you are lazy and risking serious injury.

If indeed you are going to actually address moisture content, what are actual valid numbers you shoot for. In regard to moisture content, does it matter; what specie you are turning, what climate you are in, time of year, final use of the product? If those are not significant, you hand can tell as much as the meter. Taking a cut to square the end will expose new wood which will be a better sample of real moisture than sticking a meter into the raw end of an old piece of firewood.

Be careful when pick your fights, and be sure you know what you are talking about before you begin!!!
    Last edited by hemmjo; May 27, 2023 at 08:49 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 27, 2023)

Thanks

Make Things's Tools
    Be careful when pick your fights, and be sure you know what you are talking about before you begin!!!
    You're too confrontational for me. I stand by what I said. Have a nice day.

Thanks

Make Things's Tools
    I simply stated your video is an add for the meter, which it is, but since you want to be snarky...
    No, not snarky. Snarky would be me saying "'Add' is used for math, 'Ad' is short for advertising, didn't you pass 3rd grade reading and writing?"

Ad vs. Add: What’s the Difference? https://writingexplained.org/ad-vs-add-difference

That's snarky. I had 3 videos to complete Saturday morning and didn't have time to go point by point through your post. Now I will.

The video is purely click bait.
    The point of the video, in 60 seconds, was to explain 2 tips that I use when I turn wood.

1. Remove the bark.

2. Use a GOOD moisture meter. I didn't specify which one you had to use, ie the ONLY one you could use, I specified the one that I liked as an example.

You could have accomplished the same result just posting a test review of the meter. If you are making money from YouTube, I have no problem with that. However, as I mentioned, the video is SPECIFICALLY an add for a moisture meter.
    The video is specifically talking about 2 tips, both of which I addressed. The second tip was for one I liked and I even found a discount for those that are subscribed to me. I make NO money on that moisture meter. None. Zero. Zip. If I did, you would have seen "Paid promotion" in the video as I'm required, by youtube.

AND you are showing other very dangerous practices!!!!
    Much like most of the safety politicians out there, it comes down to opinions. I don't agree.

I have a lathe, 2 in fact. Been turning wood for near 60 years. I often turn freshly cut "green" wood, just for the warping effect created in plates and bowls as the wood dries. It is fun to turn green wood, as you can feel the moisture as it is released from the wood. Sometimes the finished product splits when it dries, sometimes not...
    You've just proven why I suggested using a moisture meter. Your fascination isn't shared by everyone. It's your opinion (opinion #2).

The title of your video says "tips" for turning firewood. There are indeed two tips, remove bark and check moisture content, so the plural is justified.
    And now you've proven my point that I started with 2 tips and finished by explaining those 2 tips. It wasn't just an ad, was it?

There are however also serious safety issues shown which are much more dangerous for turners than the "tips" are helpful. I initially let those slide, but since you wish to justify you video, lets continue.
    So they only become important when your feelings are hurt and you're looking for something to throw in my face, is this a correct statement?

The common 60˚ center is actually very dangerous on a wood lathe. This allows the work piece to fly out and hit you in the face!!!
    So dangerous that I was able to purchase it from a lathe supplier, or is this another opinion?

A cup center both centers the wood and actually squeezes the wood together rather than trying create a split. ALSO you need to keep your tool rest MUCH CLOSER to the work than you show in the video. If you need that much space for clearance on your rough project, you need to trim high spots with an axe, draw knife, chisel or plane before you start to turn. That huge space gives the workpiece a MUCH better chance to catch your chisel and Hit you in the face!!! If you cannot take the time to square the ends, at least where the drive and center contact the material, you are lazy and risking serious injury.
    More opinions. I'm going on 6 years of making videos and the one thing that is more frustrating than any other thing is when I make mistakes and realize it later on. Having people scrutinize every second of my videos and using them to badger me later on takes the fun out of this. If I ever make a video showing how close you need to be from the work and I say that it doesn't matter, please come back and hit me on the head with your thought. Otherwise, your opinion is just an attempt to score you points in a post you've already conceded.

If indeed you are going to actually address moisture content, what are actual valid numbers you shoot for. In regard to moisture content, does it matter; what specie you are turning, what climate you are in, time of year, final use of the product? If those are not significant, you hand can tell as much as the meter. Taking a cut to square the end will expose new wood which will be a better sample of real moisture than sticking a meter into the raw end of an old piece of firewood.
    The thread was titled: 158. 2 Lathe tips for firewood (shorts tip)

It's a shorts video. I have 59 seconds to make a video. How about you make the same video and show all those tips and prove it can be done in 59 seconds, keeping the shorts format? It was a tip. It wasn't an educational video on the specifics of moisture or the environments. The meter comes with an instructional book that shows the different types of woods and materials and when they matter.

I stand by (and so do you, as you mentioned earlier "The title of your video says "tips" for turning firewood. There are indeed two tips, remove bark and check moisture content, so the plural is justified.") what I said. I wasn't looking for an argument. Aside from your opinions, I made my point. You came into this looking for an axe to grind, not me. I can't understand why so many people bring their attitudes online looking for a fight instead of simply encouraging others.

If you are making money from YouTube
    I have no idea if I make any money from any of these shorts. Youtube is sneaky. They say you're eligible for making money, but what you make or how you make it...I really have no idea. Money does not motivate me. I enjoy making videos and showing some of the things I've learned, hoping to encourage others to put down their phones and step into their shops.

It's just, really, humorous standing back and reading this. It feels like you seed comments for this 'fight' you look for. Fighting online is like catching butterflies. What have you accomplished when all is said and done?

But thank you for at least agreeing that both tips were made in the video. I appreciate that honesty, even if the other opinionated stuff clouded it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information