Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 18" Thickness Sander

Threaded View

Thanks

Nick Jonkman's Tools

18" Thickness Sander

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandfin2.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	847.1 KB 
ID:	44977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sand.2.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	44976 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sander2.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	259.2 KB 
ID:	44975

For many years I had wanted a thickness sander. So I started collecting material for it over the years. Last winter I set out to build one. I got a fine sanding belt 18" x 48" for the feed, I believe it was from Grisly Tools. I had an 18" x 4" vellcro drum made by Stockroom Supply. These form the heart of the machine. I first tried welding 4 nuts for the 3/4" screws to plates but it seemed to be impossible to get them to line up so you could get smooth elevation. So finally I went wrooting through my workbench drawers and found a piece of UHMW about.1 1/2" x 1 1/4" and about 18" long. I cut it in half and clamped them on top of each other and drilled the holes for3/4" course thread in my small vertical mill/drill This way the holes were guaranteed to be parallel And that worked out perfect, besides UHMW is self lubricating. The motor is 1 1/2 HP running on 220 Volt which keeps it purring. The feed belt is powered by a 12 Volt DC geared motor 1/2HP and has a gear box output of 15 RPM. I found that motor on E-Bay at a very reasonable price and brand new. The 12V power pack was from an old tent trailer. Basically a transformer with a 4 diode bridge. The rest is all standard materials.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Jonkman For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 20, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Feb 21, 2023), Ralphxyz (Feb 25, 2023), scrollworks (Feb 22, 2023)

Thread Information