Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1973 Dodge Big Horn semi truck - photos

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,247 Times in 9,724 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Big Horn? How can you tell, just a pic? But is a good looking tractor.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Big Horn? How can you tell, just a pic? But is a good looking tractor.
    If it is Dodge and is a Semi tractor built between 1973 and 1975 then it is a big horn that was the badge that Chrysler put on the trucks.
    The big horn was only produced a few years only between 250 and 262 were ever made. All had a big cam 400 hp Cummins and 13 speed from the factory.
    If that tractor came from the factory with a sleeper it most likely had a Mercury sleeper the one shown was probably added much later.
    One unique feature about the Dodge bighorns was the width of the hood at the time they boasted the largest radiator in a truck just like the Brockways they were built to be the toughest thing on the highway. Some say they could live up to their name. New Federal regulations more or less forced Chrysler to rethink their big and medium truck division so they sold the Big Horn line to Navistar's Paymaster division It is worth noting that the PayStar 5000 also has a huge radiator shell the same with what was called the Rolls Royse of trucks the Marmon which also had a large frontal area You can find this large frontal area on the Western Star trucks of today
    Worth noting the Mack Superliner used the idea of the wide frontal grill and large radiator to cool the V8 diesel engine in those trucks when they came out. We now have 2 superliners with nearly enough parts to build a 3rd the parts are here and 1 of the trucks in a short few miles away the other one might be driven down from Illinois next month
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 6, 2022 at 08:42 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jun 7, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jun 11, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jun 6, 2022)

Thanks
    The frame crossmember of the Dodge Big Horn is bolted with aircraft type self-locking nuts. Anyone who tried to remove a frame riveted anything knows it can be pain in the ass/arse, depending on your level of politeness.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mansworld For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 6, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jun 11, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I'm cornered by 2 tremendous resources on truck info.
    Ya'll can guess at one. Hint, they are connected, no surprise.
    The other is the 'American Truck Historical Society' is in Kansas City near airport, Charolais Cattle Assn, defunct Harley-Davidson plant, and one of their best dealers (still thriving), Koch Ind, Herzog, Hillyard Inc, naming a few.

The range of businesses around is still surprising, after 18 years year resident.
    Those who've been killed off, just as surprising.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 11, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I'm cornered by 2 tremendous resources on truck info.
    Ya'll can guess at one. Hint, they are connected, no surprise.
    The other is the 'American Truck Historical Society' is in Kansas City near airport, Charolais Cattle Assn, defunct Harley-Davidson plant, and one of their best dealers (still thriving), Koch Ind, Herzog, Hillyard Inc, naming a few.

The range of businesses around is still surprising, after 18 years year resident.
    Those who've been killed off, just as surprising.
    If you ever get a chance to visit the big house as we ATHS past and present members often call it be sure and inquire about the ZOE James library close to 200,000 manuals brochures and historical articles about old trucks the trucking companies of yester year and their equipment.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 11, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jun 7, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    With a couple decent oldies ('79 F800/ CAT3208 & '97 IH4700/T444) that have dang good potential, you can bet I will.
    Still trying to rid self of the '05 F650 disaster.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    With a couple decent oldies ('79 F800/ CAT3208 & '97 IH4700/T444) that have dang good potential, you can bet I will.
    Still trying to rid self of the '05 F650 disaster.
    Being that the Ford is a 79 is it a 3208 or an 1160? Never mind you said 79 for some reason I was thinking 69 The Louisville line up came out in 70 and ran the 1100series engines until 75 the 3208 was a remade 1160 used the same displacement of 636 CI but added an 3rd piston ring to accommodate the boost of a turbocharger

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 7, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yes, ascertained 3208. If that's sought after in marine configuration, it's a serious endorsement. That is a 54k GVW flatbed, the IH a box truck, as you know. Feel lucky, armed with insight you provided. The CA emission standards made such purchases occur all over the country, likely even Mexico.
    Particular IH is auto trans, wouldn't/ wasn't first choice, it's a bit of a lumbering ox. Around town, not objectionable, anxiety still for the cross country trip.
    The F800 though couldn't be more different. Can't imagine ever loading to capacity, but it drives easy, just like a big car. If cars had twin axles and duals...

Don't need to replicate the Frank Fleet, with capability moving all kinds of stuff never dreamed of a few years back, at surprisingly little cost. Haven't run into on/off load issues, each stop had riggers; so far!. Just need to stay on top of logistics.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 7, 2022 at 03:32 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yes, ascertained 3208. If that's sought after in marine configuration, it's a serious endorsement. That is a 54k GVW flatbed, the IH a box truck, as you know. Feel lucky, armed with insight you provided. The CA emission standards made such purchases occur all over the country, likely even Mexico.
    Particular IH is auto trans, wouldn't/ wasn't first choice, it's a bit of a lumbering ox. Around town, not objectionable, anxiety still for the cross country trip.
    The F800 though couldn't be more different. Can't imagine ever loading to capacity, but it drives easy, just like a big car. If cars had twin axles and duals...

Don't need to replicate the Frank Fleet, with capability moving all kinds of stuff never dreamed of a few years back, at surprisingly little cost. Haven't run into on/off load issues, each stop had riggers; so far!. Just need to stay on top of logistics.
    I have decided if a 100 ton Link belt lattice boom with a 9 line bull and block comes along at a Frank S price, Imay figure out how to have it follow me home. No engine no problem I have something I can install. worn out draw works, fine I have my pencil sharpener and looking for an excuse to put it under power. I only need the stub and 3 sections of boom and the top section bull because I don't need to lift anything over 30 feet anyway. The key factor here is the Frank S price.

Thread Information