Nope, the cam doesn't. Use a woodruff, instead Yamaha used a round pin inserted through a hole in the shaft.
Learnt something today: When I bought this POS it had aluminium mags on it, plus it had a spare set of spoked wheels. I was going to use the spoked wheels on this build, until I discovered the price of stainless spokes, $250. So in an effort to save some money I thought I'd use the mags, so pulled out the front wheel and polished up the bared aluminium prior to painting it black. When I pulled the rear wheel out to polish I thought that looks really small, so I checked on the sidewall - 16". Grrr, no good for a cafe racer, so I wasted all that time polishing the damn wheel. So, $250 for spokes it is, damn, damn, damn!
Great build by the way, I am always excited to see what you've done next when I see a notification for this thread.
Thanks for the critique. I have quite a few parts I'll put up for sale at some time: Battery carrier, side panels, carbs, wheels, wiring looms (one brand new, came as a spare with the bike?), switchgear. I did try to sell locally, pick up only, but all the replies came from interstate, so at some time, I'll have to look at postal fees I guess.
https://xpsship.com/ we used them with our business for some time, normally better rates than we could find elsewhere. No special requirements, either a credit card or a bank account with get you going and then you can ship by different shippers at commercial discount rates.
Slack day today, just made up a few static timing lights of different design. First one uses a 9 volt battery, so had to solder a resistor in the line to cut the voltage down. Second one works off the bike battery, so also had to use a resistor. Third one uses a 3 volt button battery, so, so resistor required. Why so many? I was bored!
greenie (May 15, 2021)
Well, another day spent on the points cam, must have made about a hundred of these bloody things before I figured out how to do it" cut the keyway first, then mark where the ramps are then file, check, file, check, ad nauseum! Finally got it right, close enough to say spot on, statically at least. I also added a felt oiler bracket to the backing plate and moved the condenser up near the coil. Looks a lot neater now, and quicker to set the points with only one set. I don't like cutting key ways on the lathe, so I used a 2mm end mill on the mil. The key is a 2.5mm round pin suck in the shaft crossways, so only had to cut the keyway down around 6mm.
Last edited by th62; May 17, 2021 at 09:45 PM.
asterix (May 18, 2021)
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)