Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 2 Axis DRO Made From Vernier Calipers

Supporting Member Improvised DIY's Avatar
    Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools

2 Axis DRO Made From Vernier Calipers

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Improvised DIY For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 22, 2022)

Thanks
    Can you please post a close up picture of the vernier scale on either of those calipers.

They sure look like digital calipers to me and I've never seen a digital caliper with a vernier scale.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Improvised DIY! We've added your 2 Axis DRO to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: Improvised DIY's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rayh__ View Post
    Can you please post a close up picture of the vernier scale on either of those calipers.

They sure look like digital calipers to me and I've never seen a digital caliper with a vernier scale.
    Seems just like it's Groundhog Day again?

-We've covered this purely semantic issue before: Vernier Scale for Homemade Milling Machine

2 cents
    Johan (self-imposed volunteer)

Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I wish my success rate with digital calipers was not so abysmal, as I would like to mount them on my lathes and mill to use as DRO, it matters not if they are el-cheapo or Mitutoyo, I simply cannot trust them to have continual repeatability beyond using them a few times. I do know that a lot of the issues I have with them can be contributed to work environment not having a climate-controlled cleanroom type facility
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    Hi Frank. I have noticed that they tend to lose their position when swarf or metal dust enters into the main body. I keep mine clean and check the positioning regularly.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Improvised DIY View Post
    Hi Frank. I have noticed that they tend to lose their position when swarf or metal dust enters into the main body. I keep mine clean and check the positioning regularly.
    I've even had mid-price range digital calipers and micrometers have repeatability issues right out of the box while still in the store while handling them. If I grip the module for a few minutes then slide it out zero it slide it in zero it then slide it out and in a few times the zero will be off, about the only way it will not change is if I thumbwheel it out and in without touching the module. Pinching the bar between my thumb and forefinger and rubbing from end to end can have the same effect sometimes.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    Seems just like it's Groundhog Day again?

-We've covered this purely semantic issue before: Vernier Scale for Homemade Milling Machine

2 cents
    Johan (self-imposed volunteer)
    I have to agree, using "Verniers" as a synonym for "calipers" is just plain wrong. That said, there's another nit here that needs picking...

Since Monsieur Vernier...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Vernier

was a real person, I think we should capitalize his name when we refer to Vernier scales.

In the metric system, units named for people (e.g. Newton, Pascal, Kelvin) are always capitalized. Granted, Vernier scales are not part of the metric system but I think he deserves the same degree of respect.

Sadly, Wikipedia seems to disagree with me. Their article above refers to "vernier scales", although they capitalize the name of the man who devised them.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    Interesting enough is that around where I live no one uses the term calipers. If you use the word calipers they immediately assume that you referring to disc brakes. My father used to be a machinist and still refers to calipers as Verniers. That's the reason why I used both terms in the title. Even our local supplier uses both terms to avoid confusion on what they are selling. I am not a machinist by trade and do not know all the terminology. I do not even own a machinist handbook. It's my hobby in which I am still learning and will eventually pick up all the terms. I have only started this hobby 6 months ago. My idea is to share ideas and endeavors and not to educate as I don't qualify.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information