Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 20" Woodgears Wooden Wood-cutting Bandsaw (with changes)

Thanks

craig9's Tools

Lightbulb 20" Woodgears Wooden Wood-cutting Bandsaw (with changes)

Hi folks. Not entirely sure if this belongs here, because it's not a start-to-finish tutorial or anything like that.

At the end of last year, I got 80% of the way through building a 20" capacity wooden bandsaw, mostly using plans from woodgears.ca (no affiliation, just a happy customer), but with some twists to make it suit my needs. And then - progress stalled a bit. Partly because I got it to the 'usable' state, and so the motivation to finish the enclosure, permanent motor mount, and base cabinet was suddenly vanishing. The saw has been working perfectly for me for about 10 months now, but it's not very convenient or safe to use. Not yet anyway! A few weeks ago I picked the project back up again, and made some headway. Today I released a 29 min video with progress so far.

This video is a bit on the long side, didn't really realise that until editing stage, and it's a little more detailed than I usually do, but hopefully it's interesting anyway. It takes you through from no enclosure at all, to most of the upper wheel enclosure being built, step by step. Still more to do, of course.

It's by no means complete, there will be at least a couple more episodes until I can call it truly finished, perhaps 3-4+ episodes more.

Thanks for reading ,
    Craig

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by craig9; Oct 7, 2019 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craig9 For This Useful Post:

Altair (Oct 7, 2019), baja (Oct 9, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,807 Times in 9,915 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing the bandsaw finished, Craig!

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

craig9 (Oct 7, 2019)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    One way to shorten videos is to eliminate footage of fundamental operations like cutting stock to rough size and shape, layout, and hole drilling since you're not targeting an audience of morons. I rarely watch a video past the point where a presenter proves that he knows how to drill holes.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

craig9 (Oct 7, 2019), volodar (Oct 9, 2019)

Thanks

craig9's Tools
    Thanks Altair. Me too! Next up is making that upper enclosure door swing on its hinge, and adding a small reinforcement and a small cover for the blade. After that is the lower enclosure.

Then onto putting the final 2hp motor onto it, and making a cabinet/stand to raise it up to normal height.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks

craig9's Tools
    Good point Crusty. I think the only hole I drill in this video, is to let the jigsaw into the back panel, and I did eliminate that footage entirely. Every other machining shot was cut down to just the action, or sped up, or both. I could do some more ruthless cutting and speeding up though, for sure. It can be hard to know just how much people do and don't want to see - unless they provide a bit of feedback, like you've done. So, thanks for taking the time - and I'll certainly keep your comment in mind for the next vid.

Cheers,
    Craig

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    No criticism of your video - just a general comment about many videos posted that waste my time and/or insult my competence. If more presenters understood that there is an implicit requirement to not piss away the viewer's time then most YouTube How To videos would be more worthwhile.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    No criticism of your video - just a general comment about many videos posted that waste my time and/or insult my competence. If more presenters understood that there is an implicit requirement to not piss away the viewer's time then most YouTube How To videos would be more worthwhile.
    Amen to that

Thanks

craig9's Tools
    It's interesting - if I'm watching something that's slower paced than I'd like, or has a slow talker, I'll either fast forward or use the play-at-1.5x-speed option.

If a video is aimed at a different skill level, I'll either fast forward through to see if the content improves later, or have a look at the finished product to see if it's worth looking at anyway.

If a video is just not for me or not to my taste, I will just move on and think nothing more of it.

There is a sea of videos within YouTube with many hours of footage being uploaded every minute, and no-one has to watch any of it. By getting upset at the videos that don't work for me, the only person's time I'm wasting is my own. It wouldn't cross my mind to think that the video maker is "pissing away my time" - if anything I'm responsible for that with my choice of video initially, and my choice to continue watching after it starts. After all I'm the one with the play controls. It's not TV - it's more like self-directed TV where have the power (and responsibility) of creating the programming schedule.

That's just my 2c.

Cheers,
    Craig

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to craig9 For This Useful Post:

pfredX1 (Oct 14, 2019)

Thread Information