Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ homemade tool plans, tool build guides, ebooks, and much more.

User Tag List

Thread: 21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide

Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,329 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank S's Tools

21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide

My life as become a never ending battle to make enough special tools or fixtures for a project I am working on
    the latest is this guide fo r drilling or using a transfer punch to locate the center of a pre existing hole.
    I started with a 20mm 10.9 grade bolt mostly because the root diameter of the threads was close enough for my purpose of locating the center of several 21/32" holes that are drilled in a 1" thick plate clamped to the structure of the machine I am building.
    21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide-20170901_181320.jpg 21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide-20170901_181326.jpg 21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide-20170901_181352.jpg
    45 Best Harbor Freight Tool Modifications

Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

blkadder (09-02-2017), Paul Jones (09-02-2017), Seedtick (09-02-2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    500+ Homemade Tool Plans

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Punch Guide to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Forge Build Guide

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this idea for many different reasons and uses. On those days when you want to go out in the shop but don't want to get too deep in a big project just make one of these on the lathe. A bit of preplanning will set you up to build an entire set of various sizes, threaded and plain that will fit on a small wood block or in a small box. Color code them to identify specific sizes and/or threads. If you want to get really sexy make them with coolant feed holes. Even a small angle chamfer on the top of the hole will work that way. A longer thread on the inside to make room for a locking nut will improve centering as the locknut will take up the slack between the threads which allows a few mils of misalignment if the purpose of the tool is to spot the visible end of a broken bolt needing removal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Weldon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (09-02-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,329 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank S's Tools
    THanks Ed also find my thread http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...5-8-11-a-63210 the locking nut is there just for the same reason you stated I didn't bother adding the chamfer on that one since I drilled it from the threaded end for coolant when using a hand drill as I did in these operations I just pull out and dip in thread cutting oil
    Yes making a set is one of the to do lists it would take a while to be sure since I would want the smooth sizes for each 1/64" through 2" bore size
    the threaded ones would be fewer however if started with 1/4-20 through 1 1/2 6 for NC plus the NF and all of the 12 TPI sizes from 3/4 through 1 /12 " would be quite a large number the I would want metric as well. by the time I would have a complete set it could easily number a 150 or more, easily turning into a major project of it's own. NOPE! I'll probably just make one as needed when needed

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/

Thread Information