Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide

My life as become a never ending battle to make enough special tools or fixtures for a project I am working on
    the latest is this guide fo r drilling or using a transfer punch to locate the center of a pre existing hole.
    I started with a 20mm 10.9 grade bolt mostly because the root diameter of the threads was close enough for my purpose of locating the center of several 21/32" holes that are drilled in a 1" thick plate clamped to the structure of the machine I am building.
    21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide-20170901_181320.jpg 21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide-20170901_181326.jpg 21/32 x1/4 drill / transfer punch guide-20170901_181352.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Sep 2, 2017), Paul Jones (Sep 2, 2017), Seedtick (Sep 2, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Punch Guide to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I like this idea for many different reasons and uses. On those days when you want to go out in the shop but don't want to get too deep in a big project just make one of these on the lathe. A bit of preplanning will set you up to build an entire set of various sizes, threaded and plain that will fit on a small wood block or in a small box. Color code them to identify specific sizes and/or threads. If you want to get really sexy make them with coolant feed holes. Even a small angle chamfer on the top of the hole will work that way. A longer thread on the inside to make room for a locking nut will improve centering as the locknut will take up the slack between the threads which allows a few mils of misalignment if the purpose of the tool is to spot the visible end of a broken bolt needing removal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Weldon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 2, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    THanks Ed also find my thread http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/t...5-8-11-a-63210 the locking nut is there just for the same reason you stated I didn't bother adding the chamfer on that one since I drilled it from the threaded end for coolant when using a hand drill as I did in these operations I just pull out and dip in thread cutting oil
    Yes making a set is one of the to do lists it would take a while to be sure since I would want the smooth sizes for each 1/64" through 2" bore size
    the threaded ones would be fewer however if started with 1/4-20 through 1 1/2 6 for NC plus the NF and all of the 12 TPI sizes from 3/4 through 1 /12 " would be quite a large number the I would want metric as well. by the time I would have a complete set it could easily number a 150 or more, easily turning into a major project of it's own. NOPE! I'll probably just make one as needed when needed

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information