Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 220 Volt outlet adapter

Thanks

Haslip Cycle Works's Tools

220 Volt outlet adapter

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Haslip Cycle Works For This Useful Post:

asterix (May 9, 2021), Jon (May 5, 2021), lavern s (May 3, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (May 8, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Haslip Cycle Works! We've added your Outlet Adaptor to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: Haslip Cycle Works's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I know what you did, but why didn't you just change the 220 outlet that was there? I understand that it is not up to current code (two hots, ground and neutral) instead being two hots and neutral.
    Do you have other equipment that uses the old range plug?
    I am not trying to nitpick I just don't understand your reason unless it was for cost factor. I just did almost the same thing for my plasma cutter, I installed a surface mount receptacle (50A) and made up a 10/3 extension. The surface mount receptacle was about 7-8 dollars, but the box mount one was 34+dollars.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meyer77 For This Useful Post:

metric_taper (May 9, 2021), piper184 (May 4, 2021)

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'd suggest that anyone who does this at least get a cheap multimeter and verify the voltage relationships on all the receptacle connections BEFORE you plug anything into it. I cringed the whole time you were holding onto that nice, shiny handle that you may or may not have just made hot with 240VAC capable of 30-50A. I'm an electrical engineer, and I did my own wiring in my shop, but I'd never plug anything into an untested outlet, no matter how simple the wiring job. This is already sketchy (but I've done the same) since you are using neutral for your ground, but the hard way to find out that cord set isn't wired the way you think it is is to kill yourself when the ground turns out to be hot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meyer77 View Post
    I know what you did, but why didn't you just change the 220 outlet that was there? I understand that it is not up to current code (two hots, ground and neutral) instead being two hots and neutral.
    Do you have other equipment that uses the old range plug?
    I am not trying to nitpick I just don't understand your reason unless it was for cost factor. I just did almost the same thing for my plasma cutter, I installed a surface mount receptacle (50A) and made up a 10/3 extension. The surface mount receptacle was about 7-8 dollars, but the box mount one was 34+dollars.
    As stated in the video it's not my garage. There was equipment plugged in there before i got there and once i leave that equipment will more than likely go back into place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    I'd suggest that anyone who does this at least get a cheap multimeter and verify the voltage relationships on all the receptacle connections BEFORE you plug anything into it. I cringed the whole time you were holding onto that nice, shiny handle that you may or may not have just made hot with 240VAC capable of 30-50A. I'm an electrical engineer, and I did my own wiring in my shop, but I'd never plug anything into an untested outlet, no matter how simple the wiring job. This is already sketchy (but I've done the same) since you are using neutral for your ground, but the hard way to find out that cord set isn't wired the way you think it is is to kill yourself when the ground turns out to be hot.
    I agree and did test it before i did any work and before plugging in each component. I also had a certified master electrician verify my work before and after. I probably should have left that part in the video. I do appreciate the feedback, thank you.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Haslip Cycle Works For This Useful Post:

schuylergrace (May 10, 2021)

Thread Information